Chapter 8

I hadn't moved since hearing the voicemail. I couldn't look at him. I just stayed there, in a crumpled heap, and started to cry. More like the tears came whether I wanted to cry or not.

"Are you going to call that doctor back?" Colby asked.

I sat paralyzed with fear, sadness, anger and pain. I couldn't respond to him. I just cried. I saw him pull out his phone and hit a speed dial. I couldn't make out a lot but I knew there was a woman on the other end of the phone.

"Mom," he said.

The woman had a Spanish accent.

"I need help." He said to her. I sat there and watched the expression on his face change as he explained to her what was happening. The sweet sounding Spanish voice on the other end of the phone made me smile.

"Thanks mom. Tell dad I love him and I love you too. Bye." he said closing his phone. He went over to me and sat next to me on the floor. Wrapping his arms around me, he softly comforted me singing a song I knew all too well.

"Just let me hold you and we'll both fall down." he kept repeating in my ear.

I cried. I felt anger, sadness, fear, and pain flow out of my body with every fresh tear.  He said nothing else but he let me cry in his arms. I cried so much and so hard I fell asleep in the doorway. I don't remember much except waking up in a bed, not the floor. I remember a blanket over me and I remember looking into those brown eyes and he smiled at me.

"Good morning." he said to me with that voice of his.

"Morning." I said. "How long was I asleep?"

"A good almost nine hours. We got back at seven. you've been asleep since seven-thirty."

I looked at the clock. It said in bright red numbers: 8:15 a.m.

"Are we leaving?" I asked.

"Not right this second. We'll go whenever. I don't have to be anywhere til tomorrow for the SmackDown in Roanoke."

I smiled at him and curled up in a ball closing my eyes. I noticed I was still dressed in the clothes from yesterday. I looked at Colby and prayed he was falling back to sleep. I took my clothes off from yesterday and changed into a Varsity Pink pair of sweat pants and a gray tank top. I curled up next to Colby and he wrapped his arm around me.

"Thanks for the view, Bug."  He said, smiling.

I looked at him, holding my cell phone. It was on the nightstand in front of me.

"I don't want to make this call."

'You have to, Bug. I'm right here."

I dialed the number.

"University Medical Center of Omaha, this is Cheryl. How can I direct your call?"

"My name is Lindsay Sutton. I had a doctor Novak call me yesterday. She's an oncologist."

"She's expecting your call, let me connect you."

The phone rang for a second.

"Is this Lindsay?"

"Yes, it is. Is this Doctor Novak?"

"Yes, it is. I called you to discuss the fact that Doctor Cordova, your Internal Medicine doctor told me you weren't feeling well lately. He ordered some tests for you."

"Yes, one was a bone marrow test."

"I have the results of that biopsy. You have stage 1 Leukemia."

"What does that mean?"

I sat stoically listening to the doctor talk to me about my treatments. I heard her say chemotherapy and radiation. I started to cry, running my hands through my hair.