Chapter 22

The limosine ride was private. The separating window was up and I looked at Colby undoing his ponytail. His hair fell down over his shoulders. I smiled and inhaled his scent. I couldn't explain it. All I knew is being that close to him thrilled me.

"What are you thinking about, Bug?"

"Thinking of us."

"What, specifically, are you thinking about, Bug?"

I smiled at him.

"I'm thinking of how much I love you."

He kissed my forehead. The limosine took us back to Colby's hotel. He had reserved a special room for us.

"Room for Colby Lopez." He said to the concierge. The concierge gave him a credit card looking key and he slid it into his shirt pocket. I smiled walking towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked.

"I'm going to the room."

"Do you think you're walking there, Bug?"

"Umm, how else was I getting there?"

"Like this," He said, sweeping me in his arms. I squealed. The concierge just rolled his eyes as Colby carried me to our room. I laughed the entire way to the elevator.

"So, which room did we get?"

"It's a surprise."

I looked at him curiously. I didn't know whether to be in a happy state of euphoria or what. I'll admit the alcohol I had consumed tonight might have something to do with the confusion. In the elevator, the whole four floors of this stellar Hilton, he pinned me against the wall, kissing me.

"Colby," I said.

"What would you like, Love?"

"I think we're on our floor."

The opening door made that fact evident. We stepped out of the car and I looked. There were only two rooms up here. One was to the left, the other to the right. I looked at Colby.

"Which one is ours?"

I hadn't noticed the writing on the sign next to the door that was ours.

"Colby Lopez, why are we in the honeymoon suite?"

He smirked.

"I wanted the best for us tonight."

I smiled at him as I started to walk.

"Oh no you don't, my girl doesn't cross this threshold without me."

Again, he swept me in his arms and carried me into the room. For a hotel the room was smaller than most I had seen. One of my relatives had a place in Las Vegas and those rooms went on for days. I stayed in the room when my uncle and aunt went to gamble. I slept most times. They'd come back smelling like smoke and liquor. Sometimes, they'd complain about losing money. Other times, they'd cheer the fact they beat the house and brought back money. I faked my sleeping and listened to them talking. When my uncle dropped me with my grandparents, my uncle made it clear that they didn't want me.

"She's too small to be anywhere and leaving her in the room just doesn't seem to be a good idea, Emmett." my uncle Trey said. My aunt Charlotte just sat there. She never said a word to anyone short of my grandmother.  Even that was difficult for her. I looked at Colby and smiled.

"Do you like the room?"

"It's beautiful. I'm just not used to this kind of life."

"On the road, it'll get better once you get into the swing of things."