Chapter 20

During dinner, Colby looked into Lindsay's eyes.

"Do you realize how beautiful you are?"

Lindsay blushed.

"I won't be for much longer."

Colby smiled, reaching over to kiss her cheek.

"You're always going to beautiful to me. You could be bald, you could have peach fuzz, I'd still love you."

Lindsay kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, my handsome soldier."

He looked at her.

"Since when am I a soldier?"

"When I bumped into you, you were dressed in an all black soldier look."

"Ah, my shield look."

"Yeah."

"Well, you looked fresh from the gym in your outfit."

"I just finished training."

'You were cute then. Now, when I looked at you entering the limo, you had me floored. I didn't know what to say. If Joe hadn't been there, I wouldn't have been able to keep my hands off of you."

'Oh really?'

"Yes, really. You make my heart skip beats, Lindsay."

Lindsay kisses Colby. The waiter comes to their table.

"Are you ready for dessert, Sir?"

"Yes."

The waiter brings out two lemon raspberry souffles.

"Enjoy," the waiter says before he leaves.

Colby then pulls a ring box out of his suit pocket and looks at Lindsay. Lindsay looks at the dessert.

"This looks to pretty to eat."

"I hope this is too pretty to eat," He says as he opens the box. Lindsay looks at him.

"What is that?"

Colby gets down on one knee. Lindsay looks up at him.

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"Bug, I love you with all my heart. I know right now you're terrified of everything. I want you to know that no matter what happens with your treatment, I'm always going to be there for you. When all of this is said and done, I want to ask you to marry me but in the mean time, this is a symbol of my faith in you and in us. My promise to you is this, I will love you no matter where we are. No ocean, no amount of time, nothing will ever keep me from you. All of this I promise you, this ring is a symbol of that promise."

Lindsay looked at him.

"Why do you want to tie yourself to a woman who's not guaranteed to be well in the next year?"

Colby looked at her.

"You're worth every second."

Lindsay smiled.

"I..." She said.

"What?" He asks.

She kissed his neck and he smiled.

'Does this mean you're gonna be mine?"

"Yeah, I am." She says in his ear.

"You've just made me the happiest man in the universe."

Lindsay smiled.

"I'm going to get through this whole thing for you."

"I hope so."