Chapter 37

The plane landed and a car met Colby and Reverend DiBiase at the airport. Flying at the speed of sound, the car got to the hospital Lindsay was.

"I need the room for Lindsay Sutton."

"They have her in Trauma room three." A clerk said. Officer Krueger met him and the reverend.

"Are you Colby Lopez?"

"Yes. How is she?"

"They're fine."

Colby looked at him.

"What do you mean by They?"

"Sit down, Mister Lopez, I'll try to explain."

Ted sat next to them.

"The doctor is taking her vital signs and heard a heartbeat."

"Well, I would hope so. She's living. Most living people have a heartbeat."

Ted touched his shoulder.

"Am I correct to say, Officer Krueger, that our Lindsay is expecting?"

"Well, sir, that's what the preliminary speculation is. Miss Sutton and the child are fine. She did the safest thing."

Colby, floored, looked at Ted.

"I'm going to be a father."

"You don't know that for sure, don't go getting your hopes up until we know for sure."

"That makes me even angrier that I wasn't here with her. Wait, Officer Krueger,"

"Yes, Mister Lopez,"

"What about two other women, Clarissa Jerrett and Iyanla Henry?"

"From what I was told when we searched the premises, Ms Henry had the day off and from what Miss Sutton said, Ms Jerrett just dropped her off at the hospital. Presumably, both are fine. Miss Sutton was the only one of those three in the building."

Rushing into the building, Clarissa and Iyanla came busting into the waiting room.

"Where is she?" Iyanla says.

"Trauma room somewhere." Colby says.

Iyanla rushed back and told the nurse seeing to her that she was Lindsay's private care nurse. Clarissa looked at him.

"What has you thinking harder than blonde staring at frozen orange juice."

"Something the officer told me."

"What did he tell you?"

"Lindsay's pregnant, or they think she is."

Clarissa looked at him.

"I think this is where you and Lindsay need to talk."

Colby looked at her.

"I want to hold her but I don't have the right clearance to get back there. I'm not her husband, I'm not her father. I'm nothing to her..."

Clarissa patted his shoulder.

"It gets better. Just talk to her about things."

Iyanla came out to them.

"Colby, she's asking for you. I cleared it with the doctors. She's stable now."

He rushed back in his work out gear and sat beside her.

"Bug, I'm here."

"Am I dreaming you?"

"No, Lindsay, I'm really here."