Makao

^the clocktower room

***

After Dante effectively put me into the backseat and Leo handed me my mug, which I almost dropped because it was scalding hot, Dante took the wheel and we peeled off my porch.

"Care to explain why we're in such a hurry?Do you have a dragon to slay or something?" I ask, trying to keep the cup upright.

"Pretty much." Dante mumbled, too focused on getting us where he is trying to get us.

"We've gotten a threat addressed to boss in which the Gaspari family, one of our rivals, is trying to use his Cinderella to hurt him."

"How could he use me? I've been with at least one of you 24 hours a day the past week. I don't think he could do anything to me like this."

"We don't know yet if they're bluffing or not yet,but Dante doesn't wish to take the risk." Leo said, smiling devilishly at his boss.

He turned in his seat and mouthed 'he's whipped' to me, making me blush.

He might not be the only whipped one here.

I put my mug in a cup holder, then started putting my shoes on to distract from myself from the situation.

We came to a stop a short while after, making me gawk at the view.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

"Never been to the clocktower before?"

Dante got off and opened the door for me, helping me out.

I must have looked extremely odd with a mug of tea and no coat in the cold winds of late autumn.

Not to mention the boulders that call themselves men flanking me on both sides.

We fast walked towards the tower, but I managed to recognise at least 10 people from the hotel dressed in casual clothes casually chilling on the benches, reading a newspaper or talking to the phone, but they were strategically placed, looking at us subtly, not missing any details.

We entered a "Staff Only" narrow door and Indian lined towards a small elevator.

Leo waited for me to enter and let the two of us climb, saying that he'll be on the lookout at the bottom.

As soon as the rusty doors opened, I stepped out into a broad room, one wall consisting of one giant stained glass with big mechanical hand moving along with the time.

I hurried to the glass, gingerly putting a hand on it, admiring the colourful swirls and the way the light shined through.

"Like it?" Dante said in a low voice beside me, close enough that I could smell his amazing cologne, which I identified as Eros, but not quite close enough to touch shoulders.

I just nodded, now making out tiny silhouettes on the street below.

"Now.." I start, slowly peeling my eyes away from the little ants down there. "What is this about?"

After he searched my face with his eyes, he seemed to come to the conclusion that I need to know what was going on.

"You remember the family I was telling you about? The Gaspari? Yeah, they found out why I prolonged my return to Italy and they seem to think that they finally found a weakness and want to take full advantage of it."

"I'm a weakness to you now?" I ask, a little bit flattered.

"I thought I made it clear this morning" he said, sheepishly smiling at me, taking out a cigarette.