Chapter 37: Meet Chance

The Christmas season was upon Hogwarts and everyone was getting in the Christmas spirit. Talk of being able to go home and visit parents was frequent. Since no one now agreed that Harry should be kicked off the quidditch team, Malfoy focused on how Harry was having to stay home for the break. Harry though couldn't be happier that he wasn't going home.

Rose was going to be staying at Hogwarts with Sev and so was Ron and the twins. As the last of the classes of term moved by slowly the four of them tried with no avail to find out who Nicholas Flamel was.

"He could be anyone!" Hermione cried out one day while her and Rose were leafing through some old and dusty books. "We don't know anything about this guy and we can't ask the librarian because she will certainly suspect something! It's just so frustrating, Its like looking for one name in all of history and time!" Hermione whisper yelled and collapsed into her seat.

Rose patted her arm sympathetically and had an idea. They still had three good hours to look and Rose thought she could make it better.

Hey I'll be right back I think I can make this more fun. Just don't move okay?

Rose ran off before Hermione could finish the note and ran down the stairs to the kitchen. She tickled the pear and ran inside. She wrote out a quick note about what she needed and why, then told them to find her in the library. Rose decided it would bee safe to glide low to the floor back to the library and got there in half the time.

"Now what's going on?" Hermione said when  Rose approached her. Rose grabbed the mountain of book and started to walk off deep into the library where no one could see them. They found a table and spread out the books.

"And how is this more fun?" Hermione said taking a seat. Rose snapped her fingers and four house elves appeared before her with butter bear, pies, sweets, and a big bowl of fruit. Hermione fell out of her chair when they appeared and they all immediately started to help her up.

"Who are all of you? And why did you bring us food? Do you know Rose?" Hermione asked bewildered. The most experienced house elf, Chance stepped for ward. Her small voice squeaked out with obedience.

"We are house elves. We live to serve Dumbledore and all of the masters at this school. We cook all the meals and clean the dorms and halls. Rose has requested we bring you food because you have been working hard and yes Rose is Chance's friend." She said ending with a bow.

"That's incredible!" Hermione said. See looked like she wanted to question them further but Rose stuffed a slice of pear in Hermione's mouth before she could talk again.

"Right well thank you. We better, you know, get back to work." Hermione said taking another slice of pear. They all bowed and then apperated back to the kitchen.

Remember, I don't want to take advantage of them and the more people that know they more they will want from them. Okay? This is our secret.