Chapter 2 - Friends or Foe?

CHAPTER 2 - FRIENDS OR FOE?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

HICCUP'S POV

Anger.

Fear.

Relief.

The former two feelings, contradicting the latter, but it was the truth.

I could not help myself.

I felt anger that this could happen...my own daughter could be kidnapped when dragons and all the chiefs of the archipelago were here.

I was fearful that she was taken by that...thing and also that she was thrown into the icy cold ocean...and if I had not caught her...

And then came the relief...that the worst did not happen.

That Eira was not taken from us.

That she was alive and well.

I watched as Astrid was bandaged up from the fire blast and Eira was kept warm with fur blankets and a small fire.

Our bedroom had been destroyed so we had relocated to another chamber until it had been repaired.

But none of that mattered.

What mattered was that my daughter and wife had almost died.

"All done..." Isolde said to her daughter. "Just rest now..." She left the room as Astrid ran her fingers up and down the bandages, her mind drifting elsewhere.

I sighed and walked to her, my hands coming to her shoulders as I kissed her neck. "Talk to me..." I said simply, against her skin and I felt her flinch.

"Hiccup..." Her voice croaked as she turned to me. She dove for my chest and sobbed as I comforted her, holding her close and soothing her.

Her emotions had taken over and she was letting it all out.

And trust me...I wish I could've done the same.

***

*THE NEXT MORNING*

Astrid was asleep next to me as the Terrible Terrors sang on the rooftops. I slipped out of the bed and checked on Eira.

She was still here.

I quickly washed up and dressed before heading down into the Great Hall.

Some of the chiefs and their families had already assembled, but eventually they all arrived, including my council.

"How's Astrid?" Snotlout asked as I sat down in my chair and nodded slowly.

"Sleeping...and slightly better..." I replied.

"And...Eira?" Tuffnut added and I nodded slowly, assuring them she too was okay.

For now.

Silence lingered in the Great Hall and when the chiefs were done, I told Gobber to take them on a tour of the island and that I would join them soon enough.

Hesitant and curious to leave, they eventually all did, so only Berkians remained in the Great Hall.

"What happened?" I said simply, everyone and looked at me as I raised my eyebrows, expecting a reply.