Chapter 44 - Once There Were Dragons

CHAPTER 44 - ONCE THERE WERE DRAGONS

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone!!!

Here we have our epilogue of sorts? 

This chapter was planned before HTTYD3 was a thing so don't go at me about copying - BUT I might have borrowed a certain monologue from the movie. 

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy and I will see you all on the other end. 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*10 YEARS LATER*

The sun rose on another day on Berk.

Hiccup woke up to stare at the ceiling above him.

His wife of twelve years, Astrid Hofferson, was asleep next to him and he leaned over, kissing her head as he got up for another day.

He washed up as Astrid awoke too, also washing up and getting ready.

Hiccup caught his appearance in the mirror and sighed.

He had grown a beard but his age of 34 was very clear. He sighed as Astrid came to him. Her blonde hair had grown, and she now wore it in two braids.

Chief and Chieftess of Berk.

"How are you feeling, my Chief?" She asked and Hiccup sighed.

"Ready for another day..." He smiled and turned to kiss her.

A scream came from downstairs and then some arguing as Hiccup and Astrid pulled away. "I think the kids are awake."

Hiccup nodded as Astrid left the bedroom.

Downstairs, twelve-year-old Eira held a wooden stick and was threatening to hit her brothers, eight-year-old Emrys and four-year-old Aaric.

The three Haddock children could one moment be terrors together and the next moment, threatening to murder each other.

Eira's brown hair was reminiscent of her father, held in two braids as she wore clothes, merging her mother's and father's signature looks. Her mother's old kransen adored her forehead as her spunky, no-nonsense attitude was attributed from her mother.

Emrys Stoick was born days after Beltane when the island celebrated the start of summer and named after his ancestors. Eira wasn't too keen on a younger brother but the spare heir secured the Haddock line. A boy would usually demote the elder girl, but Hiccup changed the laws, as soon as Astrid announced her pregnancy. Now, Eira remained the heir and Emrys was the spare. His blonde hair shone in the Northern sun as the brown eyes of his paternal line shone through. He was inventive like his father and a prankster like his mother.

Aaric Eluf was conceived on Vali's Blot – the day of love and romance. Neither Hiccup or Astrid remembered much about that night, having given the children to their paternal grandmother for the evening so they could spend some time together. But drinking too much wine and beer led to things and they awoke, hungover in bed and a Chief meeting in hours. Astrid was surprised to find herself pregnant again, after agreeing with Hiccup that they would have no more children, but little Aaric was a blessing for them, although their friends never let them hear the end of how he came about.