Chapter 31 - Mordred's Lullaby

CHAPTER 31 - MORDRED'S LULLABY

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*BERK*

Darkness lingered over Berk.

Isolde and Tristan mourned their daughter, after locking away the dagger now engraved with their daughter's name.

Ruffnut and Fishlegs, as well as the A-team of riders, searched high and low for Gerherd, Magnus and Karolina who managed to escape in the confusion and distress that occurred after the stand-off.

Mordred was in prison and Ada couldn't stop thinking about it.

Snotlout took over the Chief's duties, who was recovering from his injuries, with the help of Gobber and Spitelout.

Eret remained by the side of his wife, who was covered in her blood but was slowly recovering.

Rose and Ivy helped the Berkians the best they could while Eoghan, Joan and their three younger children returned to Strathclyde to keep a lookout for Magnus and increase their own defences.

Gawain and Matilda stayed behind to provide support to the Berkians.

Eira asked where her mother was as Valka remained strong – her son was unconscious, and her daughter-in-law was dead.

The entire island was traumatised.

***

Ada stood in front of the prison.

Her gut was telling her to run but her heart was telling her to enter.

She had to face him – eventually, but just not right now.

Seeing him on the beach again, after so long, made all of her memories come flooding back.

All those moments in secret made Ada bite her lip, her cheeks flushing red as she recalled every tender touch and moment.

If only she had known back then...

"Ada?" Freda called and she turned to her, shaking out of her daydream.

"Yeah?"

"You are required in the Great Hall," She said gently and Ada nodded, following her aunt into the Great Hall.

She had to forget about Mordred.

Whatever they shared was in the past – she couldn't go back there, not now or ever again.

***

Heather's hair was open, as she sat cross-legged on the bed, her head dropped forward and her hands on her stomach, feeling her moving baby.

She was alone – Eret was here when she woke up but left for a meeting in the Great Hall.

Rose and Ivy were trying to be helpful with the Berkians, leaving Heather to her thoughts.

No-one told her what had happened after she passed out, but she felt the ominous mood over the island and the fact that she and her baby were alive, she knew something sinister had occurred – and they were alive because of it.

She wanted to know more but she didn't feel comfortable leaving the room and, guilt filled her.

She and Eret knew that their relationship – their affair and adultery – was always going to have ramifications but this was unprecedented.