Chapter 37 - The Test

CHAPTER 37 - THE TEST

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*LIMERICK*

On Pedro's farm, a bonfire raged as the inhabitants sat around the fire.

It was dark, the moon shining down on them as stars twinkled above.

Hiccup was stood up, starting at the embers as Heather and Eret cooed at their baby boy. Astrid served some meade and wine to Karolina, Gerherd, Ada and Pedro as Freya had her eyes closed, concentrating on something.

"We have to go back..." Hiccup said as the others looked at him. "Berk needs us and we need to be there for whatever happens."

"You want us to go?" Karolina asked. "I don't think the people will be pleased about that..."

"I'm the Chief. You have my protection..." He assured them. "We need allies and you two have proven that you are on our side..." He said. "If you did betray us, an entire island of dragons is not the place to do it."

Karolina looked at Gerherd and he smiled, taking her hand. "I can't go back..." Ada said as Hiccup looked at her.

"Yes...you can..." Hiccup said to her.

"No!" She cried. "Mordred tracks me. He uses me; therefore Morgana can use me. I am not putting anyone else on Berk in trouble because of me."

"I can fix that..." Freya said as she opened her eyes and looked at Ada. She snapped her fingers and a necklace appeared in her hands. It was gold plated with a blue stone in the centre. "Keep this necklace on you at all times – around your neck – and Mordred will not be able to get into your mind..."

Ada hesitated as Hiccup put a hand on her shoulder. "You have to try it..." Ada sighed and nodded taking it into her hands. "I know it is going to be difficult and hard for some of you to come back, but we need to, and I know deep down that you all agree."

"He is right..." Freya said. "There is nothing here. Everything that is a problem is on Berk and that is where you are all needed..."

"But I'm only willing to go back if you all will come with me..." Hiccup said as they all looked at him.

"We need to do it..." Astrid said as she walked over to her husband and took his hand. "We can't leave Berk in its time of need."

He smiled at her as Eret stood up. "I agree. We need to go back. That is our home and we need to defend it..." He looked at Heather and their son. "We need to protect his home."

Heather smiled, taking his hand and squeezing it as Ada stood up. "They are our family and we can't leave them."

Pedro remained sitting and Eret looked at him. "Pedro?"

"I'm not a Berkian...what do I care?" Eret glared at him.

"You're a cockwart, Pedro..." Eret said as Heather rolled her eyes.

"I'm kidding...I'll help you guys..." Pedro stood up and looked at Karolina. "I did kidnap her, so I have some skills."

Hiccup smiled. "I appreciate it, I do...from all of you..." He looked at Gerherd and Karolina.

"It's time to go home..."

***

They gathered their supplies and resources and loaded up the dragons.