Camaraderie

The car ride to the police station after school was quiet. Castiel stared as a gust of wind brushed against a tree, making the leaves shiver under the sunlight. Motes of dust twirled through the cool air, twinkling off the sun, like tiny wisps of life fading in and out of focus. He blew air gently onto the glass and watched as it fogged up. 

"I'll pick you up later, alright?" The boy pressed his finger to the glass and randomly drew a bee. Castiel groaned in annoyance then purposely smacked his head on the window with a thud," Do I have to go?" 

"Yes, and don't do that." She clutched his arm after pulling into the parking lot and placed a benevolent kiss on his forehead. Castiel shuddered then whined, "Mom, that's embarrassing."

"It is not, now go on. I'll pick you up around seven, oh!- and say hi to Jody for me." His mother yelped as he climbed out of the car. The boy nodded at his mother, shut the door, and proceeded inside. A few people expressed confused faces when they saw the teenage boy casually walk into the station, whereas one face recognized him instantly.

"Hi! Your mom drop you off?" Jody Mills greeted him at the front of the Police station. 

"Yeah, she said Hi." Castiel did his best to try and hide how irritated he was to be there, but unfortunately his fake smile was somewhat noticeable. Sheriff Mills pressed her lips together then sighed, "It won't be too bad here, you'll spend most time with Officer Winchester. I'm sure that name sounds familiar."

"Isn't there anyone else here?"The boy crossed his arms as his eyebrows knit together. As a result Jody raised her eyebrows at his in particular question, "There's always Officer Trenton?"

"God no," He shook his head at her suggestion then she laughed and lead him towards the mundane office. The same cream colored room and the same man sitting in the same leather chair. 

Dean diverted his attention from his laptop and glanced up at officer Mills,"Am I in trouble?"

"No, but this fella is. Remember the arrangement I mentioned about with his parents?" Jody moved aside and despite delay, there stood Castiel Novak. Dean withdrew the pen hanging from his mouth seconds later, "Right. Welcome kid." 

"I'm sure you two will enjoy each others company, make yourself at home Castiel."

"He's staying in here?" Dean's jaw tightened after he let out an exasperated low growl that sounded more like a groan. Wow. Castiel pretended to not be offended, but still shot him a grim look.

"Hey, no offence kid- but I like my solitary time."Dean's eyes had a look of long yearned for camaraderie beneath heavy lids, Castiel sensed it. 

"None taken.." Castiel huffed prior to crossing his arms. Dean pursed his lips the lowered his head slightly," You're bluffing." 

 At his remark, Castiel's cheeks turned into an embarrassing scarlet hue, "On a second thought, Trenton might not be as bad as I thought." 

Officer Mills laughed at his funny comment, "Winchester- on the bright side, he can help you finish the paperwork I give you faster." 

"Ehhh, I like the way you're thinking." The officer pointed his pen at her and chuckled in a low tone. Castiel scoffed then shook his head at Dean who was mocking him.

"I'll check in on you two later, I'm on patrol duty. Adios." Jody turned at her heel and left the cream colored office.