A silent protest

Dean slipped through the front of the garage, instantly greeted by grease everywhere, a noisy radio, and car parts—strewn about like questionable hazards

Dean slipped through the front of the garage, instantly greeted by grease everywhere, a noisy radio, and car parts—strewn about like questionable hazards. He recognized Bobby somewhere in the back fixing a banged-up Volvo and walked towards the old man, snickering at the mess he had collected around himself.

"This place is...a mess."

"Yep!" Bobby stuck an oily rag in his back pocket and quickly rolled up the frayed sleeves of his flannel.

"What's wrong with her?"

Bobby groused while Dean's face soured at the pile of junk, "What's not wrong? Jeez. This lady told me to give it my best shot, and so far this is my best."

Their day was pretty uneventful for the most part. They spent a couple of hours trying to fix the Volvo, but even with Dean's luck, they didn't get very far. It was a first that bothered Dean more than he could admit, especially when his current mindset demanded complete confidence and control. It was ironic really, his heart was a shell being drowned in pain while his head was the rouge wave driving him forward. As dumb as it sounded, he was irritated about not being able to fix the car for the reason that it was something out of his control, just like his breakup.

The younger mechanic breathed in softly, apparently, his unnerve was visibly obvious. Bobby stared, "what's the matter?"

Dean shook his head.

If there was one thing that bugged Bobby more than anything else, it was being ignored. Wryly enough, the one thing that often peeved Dean the most was sharing his emotions, which clearly wasn't unheard-of. The bloke was notoriously known to keep things to himself and Bobby hated it. Their butting of heads during Dean's juvenile years was something the two of them didn't like reflecting on very much and luckily they didn't have to, but at that moment, Bobby felt like a father to an unstable teenage boy all over again. He narrowed his eyes, a tatter of concern pounding in his chest.

"I know something's up, I ain't stupid. Why'd you think I called you over this morning?"

Dean was needlessly still, trying to think of an excuse to give Bobby before his mind went blank. He'd had desperate moments in his life where all he needed was comfort or a good drink to keep his shit together, but this was beyond any of that. His feelings for Castiel were like nothing he'd ever felt before and Dean was beginning to think that they'd never go away.

"I think my heart's broken," Dean answered in a quiet voice as his steady gaze flickered from Bobby onto the floor. When Jody had called Bobby the night before about Dean dealing with some heavy stuff, he wasn't sure what to expect and it turned out to be worse than everything he'd guessed in his head. His kid seemed lost, broken, and on the verge of bawling profanities. Bobby sighed, "Cause of Novak's boy?"

A small laugh escaped Dean's chapped lips, "I'm an idiot for falling in love."

As Bobby went to put his hand on Dean's shoulder he pulled away, kicking a strewn car part across the cement. His muscles tensed as a wave of sudden anger passed right through him.