Promises

"Dismissed!" he yells.

I hear nothing else besides that, but the silence is soon broken by the closing of a door and footsteps.

"He wants you to stay in here." A man stands behind me. I look up into the glass. He looks a little older than my mate. His hair stands up to a point and he has a faint beard. I turn around and he looks at me and turns away. He walks toward a hall and disappears. I think for a minute before standing up and walking to where he had disappeared.

At the last door, I smell pine and honey. A weird combination, I know, but it smells so good. I place my hand on the doorknob and am about to turn it, but I decide not to and walk away instead.

Go to mate, my wolf pleas.

No. He killed my father, my pack. He is not worth anything. I will reject him as soon as I can learn his whole name. I will reject him!

No! Alexia, if you do that I will not talk to you.

And I will not shift.

You wouldn't!

Try me.

And with that, she shuts up.

After half an hour of me sitting in silence, he walks in.

"Alexia," he calls for me and I turn to him.

"How do you know my name?" I asked.

"Business." He shrugs. "Come here." He sits in the chair and I stand up and walk over to it and sit in front of him on the floor. He leans down toward me. "Everyone in my pack wants you dead or punished because of you being from the Crystal pack." He smiles. "I, however, will not stand for this. You are hereby sentenced to lockdown. You are to stay in my room."

"Are you kidding me?" I scoff.

"You are my mate, Alexia. I will not let you end up dead. And our punishments here at my pack are not chores. It is abuse, whipping, starvation. I won't let that happen to you. No." He shakes his head.

"Why? You can kill my pack, my father, but not me?" I growl as tears roll down my face.

"Alexia, like I said, it was business. I wasn't there to kill your father or your pack, but they got in the way. An obstacle is an obstacle, and I tend to get over them. I promise you, I never meant to harm them." He leans his head toward me and places his hand under my chin. He lifts it to face him. He plants his lips on mine. He kisses me gently. He wipes a tear away with his thumb. He pulls away and stands up. He picks me up and carries me to the bed. He places me down.

"Sleep." He points to the bed. I nod and he walks away.

"Hey?" I call.

"Yes?" He replies.

"What's your name?"

"Beck." He smiles.

"Do you promise, you know, about not meaning to harm my family?" I ask

He looks down, and a few seconds later, he looks back at me. He nods. "I promise."

I smile to myself and flip over and sleep soon overtakes me.