Prologue

Let me be one to state an unpopular opinion: Family can not always be trusted.

You can't tell them anything that could harm you, you can't trust them with your life, and you can't blindly love them.

You may be someone like me who once believed in love and happiness but then found out that a happy ending does not exist. I know for a fact it doesn't since I came so close to my happy ending--or well my happy rest of eternity but family got in the way because they do not actually care about my desire for something perfect and constant in my everyday life.

Trusting my dysfunctional, blood-thirsty family led to having a dagger in my heart. You have to laugh at how something so cruel can be so clever. The dagger can take down the members of my family without actually killing us. I've been in a deep slumber since 1492 when I decided to help a friend of mine escape the wrath of my family, mostly my older brother Niklaus though.

I found out what a monster he truly was...and well, still is. My other family members were not apart of his menacing plans, yet they did nothing to save me and pull me out of this daggered state. The reason being is unknown to me, and I wish I knew their motives. I no longer felt the support behind me, ready to fight for what I needed in my life.

I had to wait for someone wanting revenge against my brother to pull this dagger out of my chest. It is quite sad if you think about it because I could see life continuing on without me while I was trapped alone, left to my thoughts and the sound of my strained voice screaming into my head for no one to hear.

It's been about 500 years since I've experienced the world, 500 years since I have been on the other side--not alive but not completely dead--watching Niklaus kill numerous innocent lives. I am not talking about a few dozen but more like hundreds, or possibly thousands.

I've seen my only sister, Rebekah, blinded by love so many times and yet she still doesn't get it and probably never will. The eldest, Finn, has had a dagger in his heart for just as long as I have, well actually more like 900 years for him. Elijah and Kol also but not nearly as long.

I awake with a need for vengeance and having a secret of my own.

Everyone knows me as Alexia Mikaelsson, one of the Original vampires, sister to the rest of the first vampires to walk the Earth. We have found a way to no longer be slaves of the sun. We cannot be killed with a simple wooden stake like other vampires. We have unimaginable strength and speed. We are every human's worst nightmare. We have the ability to turn our emotions off. We can compel humans to do anything. Since we are Originals, we can also compel other vampires.

Our weakness is vervain, something that acts like poison to us. Before I was struck with a dagger in my heart, I had built up an immunity to vervain, although it was a torturous experience from the moment the first drop went into my glass of wine. When you are one of the most respected and feared vampires, you have to protect yourself no matter the cost.

Niklaus is different than the rest of us because he was born a werewolf. Word is that he is now the Original Hybrid who cannot be ended once and for all.

I hold one secret close to my heart that no one else knows since it could change the future as well as the past. I am a witch. Not the kind of witch that us supernatural creatures come in contact with everyday, the ones who seek to maintain the balance of nature.

No, I am a different kind of witch. No one would believe this because I can supposedly only be a vampire or a witch. Somehow I defied the balance of nature, and I created a bloodline full of these witches. I am the creator of every witch and wizard who owns a wand. There have probably been other before me able to cast spells similar to my own, yet no one was able to secure the practice to pass along.