Chapter 51

I lower Fred's letter, wishing that he was here to speak what he had written to me. I know that he's glad I'm safe here in Mystic Falls but there is probably a part of him angry at the fact that I left. He's too kind and would never admit it, but he resents my siblings for dragging me back here. 

I've done my best to push any fleeting thoughts of Fred out of my head, yet at the end of the day he is all I can think about. How is it that I'm so drawn to someone who I haven't even explored my feelings for yet? It's now obvious that there have been feelings for quite some time but it went from him sneaking into my everyday thoughts to suddenly thinking that he is my future. I guess the world works in strange ways, so there's no bother in questioning it. 

"Do you miss him?" 

My eyes raise to spot Kol leaning against the doorframe. I shrug my shoulders, "I miss all of my friends."

Kol rolls his eyes at my response and saunters over to me, "I can't be fooled, sister. The sexual tension between you two was palpable at Mother's event."

I lightly hit Kol on the shoulder, "It wasn't like that."

"So what is it like then?"

I zone out lightly, thinking to the way he makes me feel, "It's like experiencing something for the first time. It feels human..." I would have laughed if someone told me two years ago that I would be acting like such a fool around a human.

He chuckles, clearly finding something funny about this entire situation. I raise my eyebrows at him, awaiting an answer for why he finds this comical. "It's just funny because you are pretending he doesn't play this huge role in your life, but it's obvious how much you care for the human. I haven't seen you so smitten since-"

"Elliot," I say through tight lips, not being keen on comparing Fred to Elliot. They are nothing alike and Fred would never dare do what Elliot did to me. I would choose Fred over Elliot any day. 

I wake up to someone quietly snickering, yet it's not quiet enough for my hearing. I blink a few times before my eyes settle onto George's smug figure standing at the end of the bed with a giant smirk on his face. 

I wonder why he is snickering until the realization hits me. Fred's arms are wrapped securely around my waist with his chest pressed up the my back. My eyes widen, not knowing how we got from sleeping on polar opposite ends of the bed to full on spooning. I quickly sit up but wake Fred up in the process with my sudden movement.

He raises his hands to rub his eyes before glancing at George, "Why are you in my room...watching me sleep?" Honestly, I am wondering the same thing because it's kind of creepy.

"Oh nothing, I just wanted to let you know that I made a pot of coffee. You seem preoccupied though, so I'll leave you be." George proudly exits the room, leaving a dazed Fred.

Fred looks around, trying to pinpoint the source of George's smugness only to notice how much he shifted over to my side of the bed and how he is facing me. His eyes widen slightly as his cheeks turn red. While scratching the back of his head he asks, "Good sleep?"

My head nods, "Yes. You?" He returns the nods and gets out of bed to grab a new set of clothes before walking to the bathroom. I let out a deep breath, blowing some hair that fell onto my face. 

Once out of earshot, I groan while placing my hands on my face. I can't believe I was cuddling with someone who has a girlfriend. I stop throwing myself a pity party to get up as well. I hear the shower turn on as I make my way to the living room, grateful for some moments that aren't incredibly awkward.