Chapter 31

As I walk to Defense Against the Dark Arts, I hear multiple whispers growing around me. I listen in and realize that both Harry and I are the talk of the school. 

My ears tune in to hear two Ravenclaws. One says to the other, "What if she is lying about that herb that is supposed to protect us?"

The boy peers over at his friend and says under his breath, "There is not way to know for sure, but I hope we are safe." 

"Me too," the girl responds. As I pass the pair, I softly smile, attempting to alleviate some of their concern. The boy nods his head in acknowledgment as the girl looks away surprised at my action. 

Outside the classroom, Harry leans back against the stone wall with his eyes shut closed. It almost seems as though he is asleep, yet I hear his racing heartbeat. I make my way over to him and lightly place my hand on his shoulder, resulting in him jumping, alarmed. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Harry shakes his head at my words, "I'm just on edge. You're good."

Curious, I ask, "Is everything alright?"

He is quiet for a moment, contemplating his future response. A sigh escapes his lips and I notice how tired he looks by the dark circles under his eyes."All the talk, the newspapers...I know what happened in that graveyard. It haunts me to relive Cedric's death. The fact that people don't believe me makes it so much worse."

His head looks over to his left to a trio, looking over at Harry and rolling their eyes.

I listen into the conversation, hearing the Slytherins discuss how Harry is not only a coward, but a liar as well. One even thinks that Harry is not sane. I feel for Harry, also understand what if feels like for people to not believe you. 

"Close your eyes and think about the moment Cedric died." Harry nods hesitantly, but does as he is told. 

I place my hands gently on his cheeks ad enter his mind to see Cedric's awful death. Voldemort orders someone to 'kill the spare', and a rat-like follower casts the killing curse. Cedric crumbles to the ground in an instant as Harry screams.

My hands withdraw, seeing Harry's eyes still forced closed, probably preventing tears from escaping.

I softly say, "I wish I could say it goes away, but it will get better." He opens his eyes, and I can tell he is grateful for some truthful words. "I'll be back."

I walk over promptly to the Slytherins as their eyes widen. Before anything can be said, I place my hands forcefully on their temples one by one, showing them what I had just witnessed myself.

I walk away right after, leaving the trio stunned, confused, and fearful. A smirk appears on my face as I walk past Harry, his face trying to piece together what I had just done.

Ravenclaws enter class with me. Deciding to sit near the front, I take my place three rows back. Moments later, Draco finds his way to me, sitting on my right side.

Professor Umbridge walks in with her pointed noise help up in a snotty way. She lets out a 'hem hem' to get the class to quiet down. 

We all sit, watching the woman in all pink expectantly. Her squeaky voice fills the room, "Wands away and books out." I glance at Draco, the two of us sharing a confused look as to why we aren't using wands. "You will start reading Chapter 1."

People break out in conversation, questioning why we have to read about material learned in first year. My eyes narrow at Professor Umbridge, if I can even call her a professor, analyzing her motives. She is here because of the wintry, so this entire situation seems corrupt.