Chapter 60

I wake up to a surprisingly quiet apartment. Deep breaths and slow heartbeats can be heard behind the two bedroom doors, letting me know that the twins are still fast asleep. Standing up, I make my way over to the kitchen to see that 8 in the morning.

My throat begins to ache, sparking an idea in my mind. I smirk to myself as I let my indifferent moral compass lead me downstairs.

My bare feet hit the snow, unbothered by the cold. Still in my PJs, I search the alley for a few minutes before settling on two friends.

The young male and female sit talking on a bench with steaming coffees in their hands. I keep my distance as I watch the guy reach his free hand out towards the girl, securely holding her hand. 

A blush settles on her face as he smiles at the sight, clearly smitten with the girl before him. As he leans in to whisper some sweet words in her ear, I walk towards them.

The pair look up at me with curious looks on their faces. The guy tries to be polite as he asks, "Can we help you?"

A fake smile stretches across my face, "As a matter of fact, you can."

The couple exchange a look with each other silently, unsure how to respond. I lean forward and grab the two coffee cups from them as the girl exclaims, "Excuse you!" 

I slowly pour out the dark liquid before tossing the cups into a nearby trashcan. The guy stands up quickly in a defensive manner, "That was rude. What gives you the right?"

My shoulders shrug at his comment about me being rude, "I make my own rules." 

The guy reaches down for the girl, "Julia, let's get going." She takes his hand again and stands up, but I walk right in front of them before they can escape. 

Looking deep into their eyes, I sternly say, "You are going to follow me, not speak a word, and do everything I say. Got it?" Under my compulsion, Julia and the guy nod. Gesturing the the unnamed guy, I ask, "What's your name?"

"David."

Not bothering to answer, I flick my head towards the direction of the joke shop and start walking back with the two following in sync. 

I lead them upstairs where I signal them to at first be quiet. The two sit down on the couch in silence, not uttering a word. 

Pleased with how they are acting under my compulsion, I await the fun that is about to come. I haven't been able to feed in a fun and casual way since I was with my family in New Orleans. 

Some may think its not morally right, but I say screw them all. 

Craving something in addition to their blood, I make my way over to the cabinets. I sift through the shelves until I come across a bottle of Bourbon, making me smile triumphantly. 

I unscrew the cap and hand it to Julia and David, "Why don't you to take a shot to loosen up a bit." David reaches for the alcohol first and lifts it up to take a pull. He then hands it over to Julia who does the same. "That's better." 

Taking the bottle back aggressively, I lift the handle up to my mouth and let the liquid trickle down the back of my throat for a couple of seconds. Feeling like something is missing, I place my hand under my chin as I think of what we need. 

After a few seconds an idea comes to mind and I walk over the stereo in the apartment. I turn the tuner to a rock station and crank up the volume full blast. 

I dance my way back over to the couple as I take a few swigs more of the Bourbon. I look them in the eye again, "Stand up and dance with me!" 

They do as I say and we all start dancing wildly, not giving a care. I grab onto David's neck and urge him closer. He thinks nothing of it as I sink my teeth into his neck and feed on him.