Chapter 40

Before I can walk away and be with those I feel safest with again, my monster of a sibling speaks up, "Are you completely sure about that?" Niklaus's head leans in towards Fred, George, Harry, Ron, and Hermione grouped together on the other side of the room.

I listen in, as do all my siblings, and see them glancing over with worry. George seems worried as well but less calm, considering he knows more about my origins than the others.

Fred asks, "Do you think she's alright?" A small smile creeps up on my face, touched that his first thoughts involve my wellbeing.

Ron replies, "It's her family. I know they've hurt her, but I doubt they would come all the way over here to do that." He actually sounds reasonable for once, yet underestimates my family completely.

"Which of them is the hybrid?" Harry questions, remembering the fear I placed upon them all when I informed them of Niklaus' nature.

They discuss this some before George pipes in, "It's strange to see her with her family."

It feels strange to be in the same room with my family again. The last time we were all together was right after we turned before we became broken. Harry agrees with George on his comment, "True, but that means they are all vampires then." He has a point, although Mother would scowl upon hearing this since she has never dreamed of becoming one.

I grow curious as Hermione stays thoughtful and quiet, which is very normal for her. She finally breaks her own silence, "What did they say their last name was?"

Fred answers, "The Mikaelsons."

"Alexia Mikaelson. Wow, we finally know her full name. I wonder why she never told us her last name before." Ron says.

Silence looms over the group until a small gasp escapes Hermione's lips, causing George's and my eyes to widen. They all look to her, curious as to what her revelation is. Right away I know since the look on her face is telling. "After Alexia told us about her kind, I did some additional research on my own."

Ron snickers at this, but Hermione only slightly rolls her eyes before continuing on, "I searched through countless books to trace back the origin of vampires to one name, but there was no definite answer. The only one that came up was Mikaelson."

Fred's eyes narrow at Hermione, not liking the cautious tone of her voice, "What are you saying, Hermione?"

I worry as Hermione elaborates, "I think this means that Alexia's family were the first vampires."

Something connects with Ron as he remembers a moment from last year, "I asked her how old the oldest vampire was, and she wouldn't answer me..." He trails off as they glance at one another.

The chosen one makes a very good point, "There is still so much were don't know about her. I don't think we will ever know everything."

I can tell the trust we have built up is faltering slightly, making my heart ache. I know they will always be my friends, but I hoped they would never question me when it came to what I told them about me since all I want to do is protect them.

George offers up, "I bet we have more questions now, but she will answer them."

Relief fills me as I internally thank George. "But why didn't she tell us to begin with? Why didn't she tell us she is one of the first vampires?" Ron of course has to be the one to ruin George's hopeful response.

There is sadness in Hermione's voice as she speaks, "I never asked how she became one because I feared it was a bad experience but now...this means she chose to become a vampire. She chose to create a vampire race that has subsequently hurt so many people."