Chapter 32

Ever since I told my friends the answers to their questions about my vampirism, things have slowly started to return to normal. I have a feeling that once everything is said and done, we will be closer than ever. I know it will still take time for full acceptance, but I have hope. Hope isn't prevalent in my life, yet these people are teaching me how to be human again.

My heart hurts a bit with George's coldness towards me still and how he perceives me. He has been the first human since Elliot that I have genuinely loved but now, something has changed. Rejection is a sore spot for me since I am sensitive to people abandoning me or deciding to withdrawal for some reason. 

From afar, I see George standing by himself, leaning against the wall outside of Gryffindor's common room with his eyes sealed shut. 

I walk over to him, "What's on your mind?"

He opens his eyes, looking at me with an emotion I cannot pinpoint. He lets out a long sigh, not making direct eye contact with me, "Just thinking about everything."

"I know that this past week has been difficult knowing I am alive and a vampire, but everything I have said holds truth."

George finally looks into my blue eyes, "I believe you, but I am still struggling to wrap my head around you not telling me you were alive." His voice cracks as he continues, "I was devastated and a complete mess. You could have saved me from these months of sadness, yet you didn't."

I look down at the stone floor, guilt consuming me. I was so focused on my feelings that I neglected his. As I speak, I hear footsteps approach us from the painting, "I'm sorry. I truly thought it was better for you to live your life without me."

George responds in a way that shocks me since there is a hint of anger in his tone, "You didn't even give me the chance to make that decision for myself." He walks away, not wanting to continue getting into this.

My eyes remain on the ground, tears threatening to spill. I know what I did was wrong but just wished he could understand that I was trying to save him from me.

I feel fingers slide under my chin to prop my head up. For a moment I thought George had come back but instead, Fred's eyes stare into my own, "Hey, he will understand one day. Things will get better and return to normal."

All I want is for everything to be normal but my eternal life is anything but that. A few tears roll down my cheeks, so Fred moves his fingers to brush them away with his thumbs. "Why aren't you mad at me?"

Fred shrugs at first but then thinks about my question, "Because I know you changed and feel everything now. You thought staying out of our lives was for the best...not just for you but us as well."

My voice is shaky as more tears fall, "I just want you all to be safe. If anything happens to you because of me being here, I couldn't live with myself."

Fred pulls me into a hug and whispers into my hair, "Nothing is going to happen to us. We want you here." The next thing that comes out of his mouth is almost inaudible, yet I still hear his words loud and clear, "I want you here."

---------------------------------

George's POV

I walk away from Alexia, angry and upset. I don't want to be angry, but I could have been happy and still with her if she didn't leave. Her being a vampire didn't change anything for me. I even told her that nothing she could say would have changed how I felt.

From behind me, I hear her voice again, so I stop walking to look back. Fred is comforting Alexia, and I hate how me being upset is making her upset as well.