PART 1-Chapter 1

I would be thankful to the vampire who took this cruel dagger out of my chest, but I turned off my emotions a long time ago. Turning off our emotions is an ability us vampires posses and many of us do so since it makes everything easier. Some vampires cannot handle the pain of hurting humans, so flipping the switch seems to be the only other option.

It's easier and smarter this way I have found. Why feel when I don't have a family to share my feelings with?

With the dagger removed, the color returns to my skin as my fingertips and toes start to tingle. I slowly move my hands and feet, enjoying the tingling sensation until I regain all feeling in my body. When I feel this spark throughout my body, my eyes snap open.

I sit up quickly in the casket that Niklaus placed me in, looking around for a sign of any presence near me, but no one is around. I do however find a crumpled note on my lap and smile when I see who it is from.

I look around me as I rise to my knees and make my way out of the horrid casket. My feet plant themselves firmly on the ground, relishing the feeling of being upright again.

I slowly wander around the warehouse type building my casket is resided in as I try to get a grip on the time and place since it has been so long since I have been able to walk on this Earth.

My feet make their way over to the exit where I make contact with fresh air and the refreshing breeze that has been lost to me for over 500 years. My eyes flutter close, relishing the feeling of nature and the outdoors. The world stops for a moment as I listen to the sounds around me, finally believing that I am actually alive again.

Finally I leave and wander around the woods until reaching a town since I need to figure out where exactly I am and where I need to go in order to find my old friend. I admire how the world looks now compared to how it did in the 1400s. So much has changed, yet the change does not scare me.

After a couple of hours walking, and yes I decided to walk instead of run in order to enjoy everything around me, I reach the town that is surrounded by suburban homes and see a sign that says 'Welcome to Mystic Falls.' I chuckle at this since this used to be home.

Well, I guess Niklaus decided to return home and bring his daggered siblings with him as well. This is where we grew up, yet I feel no connection to this town the way I used to when I was still human.

I make sure to keep a low profile, knowing that some of my siblings are probably in the area. I doubt they even know I am awake and will not notice for a while. I guess they will find out eventually but by then, I will be long gone and I will yet again be a distant memory.

My eyes check the address on the note that was left in my casket and shortly after I come in front of a quaint house in one of the many suburbs in this town. The door opens before I even knock and the brown-eyed brunette girl speaks up, "Well if it isn't my only friend, Alexia."

"Katerina, it's been a while." Katerina looks the same from the last time I had seen her 500 years ago. My eyes narrow at her as I take notice of how uneasy she looks. She is probably still running from Niklaus, like most supernatural creatures in this world. I attempt to walk in though the open door but am stopped by the annoying invisible barrier separating me from the living room. Vampires have to be invited into houses by the owners, another downfall that nature decided to place upon us.

I give Katerina a look since I am not in the mood to deal with any burden. She rolls her eyes before calling out for a lady named Rosie. I hear the footsteps from upstairs making their way towards us. "Rosie would you be so kind to invite my friend in?"

Rosie looks at me without question and says, "Come in dear." After I enter the house, Rosie leaves us be but only because she is under Katerina's compulsion that controls her thoughts and actions.