Chapter 67

A strong feeling of deja vu filters through me as I spot the Weasley's crowding over the one and only Fred Weasley. This time however, my mind is put at ease knowing that he is actually here with us.

The moment Fred looks up to lock eyes in an unwavering gaze, one that makes it seem as if no one else is around. His eyes show signs of searching, especially for the answers he doesn't have but desperately needs.

I sit down on the ground close to him, my body facing his questioning one. My voice comes out lowly as if any form of loudness could break everything by the seams, "Hi."

Despite his wondering mind, the corner of his lips twitch upwards as he replies, "Hi." I notice his family tuning in, seeking closure as well, yet they try to pretend like they aren't eavesdropping. 

George doesn't attempt to mask his curiosity as he pops his head in between me and Fred, "Can someone," he glances at me accusingly, "please explained what happened?"

All eyes settle on me as I look down to fiddle with my fingers. After a few seconds remaining in a state of avoidance, Fred gently rests his hand on my knee which immediately forces me to release any tension in my body. I offer Fred a thankful look.

Where the cure once laid in my pocket is the note from my brother. My fingers feel for the piece of parchment and pull it out gently. I carefully hand over the note and wait for Fred to unfold the note to uncover the words concealed inside.

Fred's eyebrows furrow as he reads my brother's cursive handwriting. "For when you decide that he is wroth a mortal life?"

"My brother found the one thing that most vampires dream about...the cure."

A light of hope glints in his eyes, "There's a cure?" I nod my head as his mind probably beings to dream up the possibilities.

I allow his mind to explore the future for a few moments, too afraid to tear his ideas apart in this moment. There is something so pure about the look on Fred's face, one so enthused about a full life ahead of him.

Unable to take it anymore, I quietly say his name, "Fred..."

His eyes fall to my face once again and sees the guilt thats etched upon every inch of my face. He raises his fingers to his lips, remembering me forcing a soft vial into his mouth. Fred drops his fingers, which end up on the inner part of his wrist. His eyes close for a moment before opening with the realization that his heartbeat is normal.

"You gave me the cure." There is a simplicity in his words with no traces of anger or confusion. My head nods in confirmation.

George mutters out, "Was not expecting that..."

This sparks the attention of his family members and Mrs. Weasley asks, "So he's going to remain human?"

"Yes." She kisses her son on the cheek, soaking in relief about her son alive and well. Mrs. Weasley then embraces me in a sudden hug and thanks me over and over again. 

I forget about my reality as feel glad that this family is happy and full. 

As the entire family converse about what's ahead for them, Fred turns to me, "The letter said that the cure was there for when you decided he was worth a mortal life...that was about me right?"

"My brother knew how special of a place you hold in my heart and wanted to offer me a happiness I've always dreamed of."

Fred grins at this, "Does this mean you're going to take the cure too?"

My face falls in an instant, and Fred's follows suit as he watches my reaction. "I can't take the cure." Fred's eyebrows raise in question and I see a brief flash of hurt cross his face. "Fred, I can't take it because there was only one dose."