20.

Plz excuse any mistakes :)

A I K O

"It seems like you know yourself pretty well and have thought a bunch about what you would like to talk about here. People who show up here have courage galore, perhaps even a tad bit of exasperation. If you don't mind, I'm going to ask you some questions, and take notes about what you say so I can keep it fresh in my memory. Oh, and feel free to interrupt me at any time or steer the conversation to where you need it to go. In your mind, what brings you here today?" Dr. Alissa asked clicking her pen.

I thought about what to say. I knew i needed help but it was hard to talk about it. Alissa noticed my struggle so she put her pen down.

"How about we start with something simple? Yeah?" I nodded.

"How are you today?" She asked crossing her legs.

"I'm fine." I said watching Dr. Alissa write in her notepad.

"And have you ever seen a therapist before?"

"No."

"Okay, so I'm going to give you a bit of a run down. The point of counseling is to create positive changes as rapidly as possible without feeling hurried. Everything you say is confidential, meaning I won't share what we talk about unless your in danger. Ok?"

"Okay." I said understanding.

"Now, in your mind, what brings you here today?"

"My dad thinks it would help to talk to someone."

"And what do you think?"

I shrugged not sure what I thought. "He's probably right."

"So I understand you've gone through a tough time growing up and a recent tragedy. How does all of that makes you feel?"

I fumbled with the jaw string on my pants. "Like giving up."

"On what you exactly?"

I shrugged not wanting to say what I really meant. "Do you think there's people in your life causing problems for you Aiko?"

"Sometimes I do." I told her.

Dr. Alissa sat up a little and uncrossed her legs. I shifted in my seat. It wasn't uncomfortable but I didn't want to be here anymore.

"Can you name a few people?" She asked.

I stared at Dr. Alissa before I looked away. I wasn't ungrateful but what I was about to say was probably going to come off that way.

"I think my life would've been different if I was never given up or if I was adopted by some one."

"How so?"

"I would have a mom who really cares for me. I wouldn't of had to grow up the way I did maybe."

"When you say that. You mean your mother doesn't care for you?"

I nodded my head. "She does but it's not all there." I said.

It was true. My mom loves me but I don't think we would ever bond that way. She gave me up because my father went to jail and was running the streets.