Chapter 13: Part 3

The finals match was about to begin. We managed to squeeze in a little bit of practice the day before. Seeing the competition, we probably need it.

Phyrra and Yang made it to the finals round along with me. Three out of eight contestants were from Beacon, so we stood a pretty high chance of winning.

The rule for the finals is that there is no time to prepare for the fight. You would immediately start the fight as soon as your opponent was chosen.

All eight were lined up at the center, which was all the space we would be given to fight, unless you were capable of flight.

The dial began to spin.

'Watch this be me.' I joked.

As luck would have it, the first dial stopped on my image.

'Kill yourself! Stupid randomizer!' I cursed.

Now to wait for my opponent.

The dial stopped on the image of a girl with purple hair and the name, Andromeda Asteris, underneath it.

"Will all other combatants please exit the field." Port instructed.

Everyone else left, leaving me and Andromeda standing in the center.

The platform began to rise above the arena and the lights flickered dramatically, eventually staying on.

"Three..." Oobleck began to countdown.

I quickly tried to find a piece of music from a playlist.

"Two..."

"Okay, this one." I said, tapping on the label 'Virtual Riot - Lunar'.

"One! Begin!"

-(play song)-

As always, I attacked first.

Launching a projectile at my opponent, before quickly jumping off of the platform and staying in the air using blasts from the O-D's.

The explosion caused shards of metal to be thrown in every direction. However, Andromeda remained unharmed.

She held out a rod with a spatial design on it.

Probably used that to deflect the attack.

The ends of the rod extended to become a double-edged trident.

She made a taunting motion with the trident.

"Alright, if that's whatchu want." I said.

Drawing energy to the Destroyer bow from the forcefield that kept the spectators safe, I aimed the source of the output directly at her.

"Get ready for this one."

My finger was halfway through pulling the trigger before Andromeda shot to the side, barely avoiding the light-speed beam which disintegrated the spot she was on only a moment ago.

"That was 70 pulses per second." I commented.

"You got lucky, that woulda killed you."

"So, you're not holding back?" She asked.

"Well, you better not either." I responded.