28. Out of hiding

I finished another debriefing meeting with the company associates. It was yet another office day and the meeting was good. I thanked each and every member for the participation.

Even after keeping myself busy very often  my mind wandered of to Tiffany. I wonder what she'd be doing now? She would work very hard at the office. It's been months since I had talked to her. But I cannot imagine her talking to me after how we ended up things. I could still see her stone face as she had gone up  the stairs.

"I still can't figure you out."

I looked aside to see Jake hugging a folder in his arms leaning against the long table.He had a scrutinizing expression over his face. The neatly folded handkerchief In his grey suit pocket caught my attention.

"You're still here?"
I raised an  eyebrow staring at the handkerchief.

"Stop staring at it." He pressed over his suit.

"A neatly folder kerchief in your pocket. I certainly don't know you." 

"It's Mia alright. She does it."

"Yeah sure."

"So what about you?"

"What about me?"

"You were thinking about her; weren't you?"

"What? No!"
I was surprised at Jake's accuracy of reading my mind. Either way I  gathered myself to stay alert.

"Oh you were."

"Jake I had told you to backoff."

"You know I would be sacred right now but I am not. Because I saw a minute ago how depressed you were. There's only one thing that can do that to you."

"Talk sense Jake or don't talk at all."

"Really? Sense? Is that what you want me to talk? Funny you ain't got that and you wanna talk that."

"Stop wasting my time." I walked past by him towards the door.

"So you wouldn't mind if I called her?"
Jake shouted from behind. It made me dead stop in my tracks.
Her? No way.

"Who?"

"You know Tiffany."

What?!

"For what would you call her?"

"My wedding."

"Seriously what?"

He got out a small blue velvet box out of his pocket and kept it open on the table. The diamond ring sparkled and Jake's face had lit up like a Christmas tree.

I was in disbelief. He was really serious with Mia.

"You're serious?" I asked him.

"Yeah I am. Wait I shouldn't do it? Should I?"
He asked nervously.

"No...it's not that..."
I walked towards him and lay a hand on his shoulder.
"I am happy for you."

"You seem speechless."

"Yes I would be. I know you and Mia were going on but I didn't know this...."

"I love her Zylen and I don't see why I shouldn't marry her. I have been carrying it for months."

I looked at him in half surprise and somewhere I felt a sinking feeling originating from down below. It again reminded me of her. The ring I slid on her finger and the complementary ring which I still had. This one and half year had gone too fast.

"So you're okay when Tiffany comes?"

I whipped my head in his direction. Her? Would she come?

"Yeah I am alright."

"You're okay if she comes with another date?"

"A date?"

"Oh you don't worry about that she would get one easily." He pocketed the box back.

"When did she talk to you?"

"Hey curious much? Could you step back a little please so that I can stand straight?"
I looked at the negligent distance between us and then stepped back straighten my coat.

"I will talk to her."

"When?"

"Gee would you calm down a bit. Why are you getting so worked up?"

"I am not."

"Yeah right. What happens if she brings a date...."
He muttered off in different direction but I caught every word of it.

"Who is she bringing?"

"I don't know but oh she definitely will."

"You look rather confident about it."

"And you look rather curious about it. Tell me what's your interest in her date?"

"Nothing."
I slapped the file on the table and picked up an another file going through it. I was way too diverted by Jake's claim.

"You already went through with that file."

"I swear I'll fire you."

"You gotta talk to your dad first. And that reminds me how was the talk with your Dad about the you know...."

"None of your business."

"He talked about Tiffany didn't he?"

I stopped flipping the page.

"So he did talk about Tiffany."

I walked towards the door to leave the room until Jake interrupted me again.

"You know I figured it out now."

"Ugh god what is Jake?"

"You're scared."

"Really? Of what?"

"Of confessing your feelings for Tiffany."

"What?!"

"Yes you're scared that she will deny you. Push you away."

"What are you talking about?"

"Now I know why you just won't talk about her. You're scared to confess your feelings for her. Or shy? or scared? Or both?"

"You are out of your mind. Take the day off Jake. Your wedding plans have got you over excited."

"No no. See again. You are scared of your feelings."

I looked at him in anger. I literally wanted to kill Jake for be so annoying. But my anger didn't stay for long. Even my conscious chanted that like Jake but not in 'Jake' like manner.

For how long you could drag it?

I can do it forever.

"You are scared aren't you, Zylen?"

"I am not scared of my feelings for Tiffany!" I exhaled out.

I didn't realize what I had said until I saw Jake's shocked face.
He couldn't say a word. I couldn't too. I had let my mouth run off and surprisingly I felt relieved.
A little bit. But I was breathing a little hard.

" I...uh.."
I saw looked up to see Jake and he looked fine with a faint smile. He didn't say anything.

"Aren't you going to mock me?"

"No."
Saying that he quietly left the room.

I slouch back on the swivel chair clutching my head. I gave in.
I was tired of hiding from everyone and that was too in vain.
I terribly missed her, everyday.
I was worried about her.
Where was she?