38.The charade

"Congratulations Mr Marc."

"You too Mr Derby."

We shook hands and the flashes went off. The hall resounded with the claps and cameras clicking. The press was present to benchmark our event which was actually appreciated. Our new investment was in redeveloping a very huge significant land into a commercial/public sector. I shook hands with the other companiy heads who had also invested in the land which was orginally owned by a a few renowned politicians hence the event was all highly promoted.
In the end the deal was finally  wrapped  after so many excruciating months and I felt a little less burdened. It was a major milestone in our company's history.

"It's finally over huh?"

"Yes."
I turned towards my dad who offered me a champagne glass.

"Celebrate would you."

"Yes of course."

He had a relaxed expression over his face as he overlooked the party. I studied him for a long time and I could notice the grey hairs at the sides. He waved at someone and then sipped on his drink.

"Admiring me?"

"Yes."

"You should obviously."

"Cocky."

"Confident. Of course you should thank your mother too."

"How's she?"

"Troubled but happy."

"What could trouble her and make her happy?."
I frowned at him. He turned towards me and smiled knowingly.

"You haven't called her therefore troubled. Happy since she knows you're with her daughter in law."

"Dad we're divorced."

He smiled again
"I know but she thinks the other way."

"I don't know what she thinks at all. Always planning something."

"Planning for your own good."

"Yeah right."

"Tiffany wasn't good?"

"She came along with a business deal. Yes then good."

"And now?"

"What?"

"What's the good you find in her?
"What do you mean?"

"You're taking care of her." He pointed out.
I took a big gulp of the champagne unknowingly.

"It's a moral obligation."

"She didn't need any. Her family was there for her."

"The doctor advised me to take care of her."

"Personally? Zylen you wouldn't touch a dirt."

"Dad. Margaret has taken leave It was short notice."

"And the impeccable timing."

I didn't reply to that and stared ahead. I knew he was smirking at me as he annoyingly sipped on his drink. He completely knew I had no excuses to give him and he left me be.
However his smirk didn't go away.
A while later he left me to attend to a shareholder who was delightfully drunk and loud. Laughing and praising glories about us, which also included how slick my father looked at this age.

I moved away from the party resting my hand upon the railing as I saw the city bright and busy in the  morning. I thought about what Dad had said. I didn't have to take care of Tiffany like that. I didn't have time for myself. The reality was  that I worked too much. I could have hired a another help to take care of her. I could have assigned a supervisor too her but I did neither if those. I felt more inclined to do these small things for her. If somebody else did it for her I just  couldn't imagine that. It really didn't feel right.
I was more inclined to take care of her. It felt like it was my right.
Nobody would understand that and some people would call it being obsessive.
If she had a weak side only I wanted to know. If she had a dark side only I wanted to know.
I wanted to have her for me, only me.