Chapter Four: Trust

This one's even shorter, but mostly because I wanted to switch back to Steve's third person. Last update for the day! - Gab

Adora's POV

The Captain took that amazingly well.

As soon as I entered his mind, I knew everything about him. And it only took me a second.

But there was a catch. There always is. Unfortunately I got a little carried away, and went through his memories in total abandon. Okay, maybe more than a little. I mean, I did feel sorry for hurting him, but if that's what I needed to learn more about him, it was worth it.

I cross my arms, and lean back against the outside of Steve's door.

The hallway is silent.

That is, until Tony Stark shows up. He has the usual smirk on his tan face, and his eyes are trained on me. Their not angry, or kind. More like curious. I reach out into his mind, wanting know how he's feeling. He flinches, feeling my mind touch his. Surprisingly, he lets me keep going. I know he's taking notes on me. Keeping watch.

Well, I'll give him what he wants.

I force my way deeper into his mind, earning a surprised gasp from him.

"Stop it" Tony barks, when I touched upon a memory of his father. People always broke when I touched on memories like those. I retreated from his mind. When he regained his thoughts, he didn't glare at me like Steve did. No, his eyes showed something different. His eyes showed newfound respect. And of course, more curiosity. Everything about Tony made him curious.

"That. Was. Amazing" Tony said, and I raised my eyebrows at him in surprise.

"How do you do it? I mean, there's got to be some sort of science behind it" He asked, almost talking to himself as he muttered under his breath. I could almost hear his thoughts like clockwork in his head.

"Is that would you did to Cap?" He asked, studying me with his brown eyes. I only nodded. He whistled.

"Can't imagine how much he must of hated that" Tony says, looking at me warily. I can't help but let a small smile stretch on my face.

Tony's eyes meet mine. "What was it like?"

I tilt my head. "What was what like?" I ask back innocently. He rolls his eyes.

"In Steve's head" I purse my lips. There was never really any way to describe what somebody's mind is like.

"Cluttered. He thinks too much, and about the wrong things. But there's also sadness. A deep sadness. He misses how life used to be. I can't imagine what it would be like waking up decades in the future" I tell him. Tony looks at me strangely, still murmuring to himself.

"And you? What's it like having powers like yours?" he asks, this time, catching me off guard. Before I can answer, Natasha presents herself.

"You done yet Tony? I thought you were going to visit Steve" she said, a teasing smile on her lips. Tony takes this as a hint to leave. He walks off, muttering about 'always interrupting' and 'just wants to have some fun'.

Natasha turns her sharp eyes towards me.

"Walk with me" she says, jerking her head towards the open hallway, her red hair bouncing. I wait for her to speak first, knowing that she wanted to talk to me for a reason.

"Listen" she said, "I know you wanted to get into Steve's head, but you can't do that. I need him to trust you, along with the rest of the team."

I nod, taking her words into consideration.

"Don't worry" I tell her. "He'll trust me in no time"