Chapter Forty-Four: The Right Call

Adora's POV
"Without a doubt" I tell Natasha, and her expression hardens.

"Are you sure this is the right call?" She asked quietly, and I whipped my head around to fully face her.

"I'm sure" I reply, narrowing my eye at her. She nods, stepping past the bodies on the ground, and I can hear Steve's loud shoes coming up behind me. Natasha's eyes look at him in, giving me a loo before signaling to Sam for us to leave. I made up the rear of the group, with Natasha in front, Sam behind her, and Steve next to him. We still had another floor to get down, since the building had only stairs on the first floor, then an elevator the rest of the way. The Tesseract drifted behind me, dragged along by my will. Natasha held her gun at the ready, and Steve his shield.

I heard a quiet humming noise. I slowed my walk, trying to attach an object to the sound. The humming became louder, and I stopped walking altogether.

"Don't you guys hear that? That weird humming noise" I called out, and the others stopped. Steve looked at me strangely, his head tilted ever-so-slightly. Natasha's brows were furrowed, her green eyes studying me.

"I don't hear anything" she said, and Steve piped up, "Neither do I" The humming was getting louder by the second, and I closed my eyes. There was a tune, a familiar tune at that.

"No way" I muttered breathlessly, stepping gingerly towards where we had came from. "Adora? Are you okay?" Steve asked, lowering his shield. I waved him off.

"Fine, fine. Just give me a second" I whisper, like if I raised my voice any higher, something would happen.

"She might need longer than that" a velvety soft voice said, and I whirled around, and there she was.

Tiana, in the flesh.

She had appeared right behind Steve, and the everyone in the room stilled. My lips curl up into a smirk, my eyes glaring icily at her. I walk forward, my hands behind my back. I knew why she was here, and right now, my main priority was keeping the Tesseract safe from her. It was currently floating behind Steve, barely out of Tiana's reach. Her eyes flickered towards it, and the next few seconds went by in slow motion.

I saw her grab tout of the air, saw Steve slam his shield into her body, and myself run towards her. My hands had somehow grabbed he knife from my belt, and held it at her neck.

Tiana's eyes flashed at me in anger. I grin wickedly at her, pressing the knife just enough into her skin to make silverly droplets of blood to rise. "Give me a reason not to slit your neck" I growled, pressing the knife harder. She smirked at me knowingly.

"Because I have them" In all the quick motion of the last minute, I hadn't noticed that Steve, Sam, and Natasha was on the ground, unconscious. I swear under my breath. Suddenly, I pause, and my eyes register the sight next to Steve.

Something in my chest stirs. You know that feeling, the feeling of when you lose someone, or when you come across something horrible, that feeling, that you've lost everything, and you don't know what to do.

Steve's shield was split right in half, right down the middle. A gasp left my lips, and my eyes watered. I turned back to Tiana, who was still in my grip. In a flash, I slit her neck, sliver blood pouring down my hands. I threw her body across the room.
"Adora" I turned around, and Steve was trying to sit up, the blood that was spreading scarlet over his shirt, growing. I rushed to him.

"Steve, Steve, oh my gosh, love. It'll be okay" I told him, salty tears dripping down my face. He grabbed my hand, holding it so tight that it hurt.

"Why didn't you save me?" he whispered, and I felt my whole body stiffen. "Steve" I pulled my hand away, like his touch was acid. I shake my head at him, pushing myself away from his dying body.