Chapter Thirty-Five: Steamy Showers and Accusations

Warning: Some sexual content.

Adora's POV
I say nothing as Natasha keeps talking, my eyes trained on Steve. He nodded from time to time, his eyes transfixed on the flaming fire in front of him. I imagine it engulfing his thoughts, and I can feel them swirling around, his trust and anger fueling his internal fire. There's something else floating around in his mind, something I had never felt from him before.

The intoxicating smoke of love.

"I wanted you guys to come to this safe house for a reason. We need a plan, and you guys needed help. HYDRA doesn't know where you are, but they now know who you are. We need to find out who the traitor is before they find out we know" Natasha's voice held a tone of finality, interrupting Steve's thoughts.

"Now if I'm mistaken, you two need to talk" And with that, she got up, her quiet steps echoing in my ears. I turn my body to face Steve, and his blue eyes meet mine. He feels a sense of betrayal, and a twinge of hurt twists inside me. He's been betrayed before, many times, different ways.

And I was only adding to it.

I wait for him to say something, and he does. "Adora" he says, his voice calm, soothing almost. "I know you kept things from me for a reason. But you don't have to. I'm tired of finding out something about you, that you didn't tell me. And now, we have a traitor, and all my mind can think of is you. You're the only one on the team who has more secrets than Natasha. Your secrets have secrets"

My lips part at his accusation. My blood starts to boil, my heart pounding in my ears.

"I can't believe you would accuse me of betraying the team. Everyone has secrets Steve!" I can feel my voice rising in anger, and Steve's jaw hardens.

"Then prove it!" he said, his voice raised as well. I smirk at him, the expression on my face, not kind at all. His glare falters.

My voice comes at low and dangerous. "You asked for it" I growl, and I flick my fingertips towards his mind, and his eyes widen.

I plunge into his mind roughly, and push my memories into him. My past, my present, and my future, all rolled into one. I can sense his remorse at his words, as I show him the Red Room, as I show him my childhood, and as I show him everything since the day I met him.

I can feel all the pain I've felt, bottled up, explode into his mind. My pain was his pain.

Suddenly, hands were shaking me, and I retreated from Steve's mind, panting heavily. Natasha was looking at me with worried eyes.

"You knocked him unconscious, Adora. How could you do that? You have to control yourself" she says bitterly, releasing me from her grip. I shake my head. "I wouldn't have done it if he wasn't ready" Natasha purses her lips, her green eyes gazing at me intently.

"You still have to be careful. You've never been in his mind before" I look up at her, quickly masking my surprise. Now that I had gotten a good look at her, Natasha's eyes were different, a different shade of green than usual.

That would be my first clue.

I force a nod, hoping desperately that I was just paranoid. Turning back to Steve, I studied him. I placed a hand on his arm, and his eyes fluttered open.

"Can you give us a moment?" I asked Natasha, and she nodded, getting up from the couch. I watched her out of the corner of my eye, waiting for her to be out of earshot.

"Adora, I-" Steve started, but I cut him off. "Hush, we'll talk later. Listen" I said, making my voice lower. His eyes questioned me. "Be careful what you say to Nat, okay?" His brow furrowed, and he looked at me quizzically. I shake my head at him. "Just trust me, please" I plead, and he nods, pushing himself up with his elbows.