Chapter Twenty-Two: Let's do this

Adora's POV

Screaming.

The sound of Steve shouting in fear fill my ears. I found myself getting up, pushing the soft and inviting covers of my bed off of me. 

I walk out into the cold hallway, and everything is silent. I tip-toe towards Steve's room, opening the door with a creak. He's awake, of course, staring up at the ceiling with glassy eyes. He doesn't look at me as I sit beside him, all my anger at him forgotten as I saw his face better.

His face was the most emotionless I'd ever seen, his eyes holding no substance, and his mouth is slack.

"Steve" I whisper, hoping to snap him out of his trance. He doesn't even flinch, and I shake his shoulders, and I swear I can hear his brain rattling around inside his head.

He blinks once, his eyes regaining their hue. His eyes meet mine, and he relaxes.

"I'm sorry" he murmured, pulling me closer. I found myself surprised at his affection.

I don't ask what happened to him, because I already knew. His mind was always connected to mine, whether he knew that or not. When he looked over a memory, it would flash through my eyes. I hadn't learned how to control it yet, because he was the only person that I'd ever connected with.

I slipped under the warm covers next to Steve. I didn't say anything as he wrapped his arms around me. I felt safe, with his body enveloped around mine. Neither of us said anything, as I listened to his breathing slow. I breathed in deeply, wanted to attach a picture to his scent.

Musk and sandalwood.

I snuggled closer to his warm body, his arms around my waist, his head in my hair. I was lying on my back, looking up at the ceiling, just listening to his soft breathing that filled the room.

I closed my eyes.

————————————————————————-

"Adora" A voice murmurs in my ear, breath fanning over my exposed skin. My eyes flutter open, to Steve peering over my sleeping form. He pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Can we talk now?" he asks sweetly, started to kiss down my jaw, his lips barely brushing my skin. I frown. I knew where he was going with this. Over the course of two days, Steve had managed to become pretty comfortable with the fact that he could kiss me. I was quite disappointed, to be honest, that he knew that my neck was a weakness.

I bite my lip as his kisses trailed lower, tracing the arch of my neck. I let out a gasp as he bit down on the spot, leaving an open-mouthed kiss. He kissed in a trail down my neck, sending tingles of electricity up my spine. I held back a moan as he sucked on my sensitive skin, and I craned my neck, trying to give him better access. I could feel him smiling against my skin.

I put my hands on his chest, and his eyes darken. A smile tugs at my lips.

"Yeah, we can talk" I respond, pushing him off me. I slip out from under the covers, my legs dangling off the edge of the bed. He settles beside me, a small smirk on his face.

"I'll get you back" I tease, making him laugh. His face turns serious, his blue eyes looking at me intently.

"I'm sorry, Adora. I shouldn't have said what I did" he says, his voice sad. I look at him, my features soft.

"I'm sorry too. I know I can trust you, it's just that I'm so used to keeping my feelings and past concealed, I'm not used to sharing with another person" I tell him, and he smiles gently at me.

"If we're, uh, going to" Steve starts, sounding uncertain. He looks at my lips, a tint on his cheeks.

"Be in a relationship" he stutters out, "I want it to be open" I smile softly, at his flustered movements.