Chapter Sixteen: Opening Doors and Devising Plans

Steve was alone.

After Tony and Adora had left, he stood still, in the same position he had been when they left. 

He was thinking. Hard. 

Steve had lost his chance. He knew Adora would find him, but he hadn't known she would bring him something else. A mission. And this opened up new doors for Steve.

Dangerous ones. And of course, excitingly new ones.

He had never really been undercover before, much less undercover with a partner. Maybe, just maybe, he could get to know Adora more on this mission. Or even learn about her past. Her past, was a secret, which he was dying to know about. 

"You okay there, Capsicle?" He heard Tony behind him, interrupting his thoughts. Steve let out a frustrated sigh. Just when he had been getting too deep, Tony had to show up.

"I thought you were with Adora" he replied, stepping forward. Tony grinned. "Yeah, but she wanted to take a shower. Which gives me a chance to talk to you, Capsicle" Steve looked up. Tony never wanted to talk to him, at least not seriously.

"Sorry my plan didn't work, but I've got a new one. It'll work this time" Tony said, his voice sure, "You saw what she did back there. She has an affect on you. And, she has to have a weakness, so you have to have an affect on her"

Steve's brows furrow. "How am I supposed to have an affect on her? I'm not good at those kinds of things" He replied, sounding confused. Tony shook his head. "I didn't know you were this oblivious there, Cap" Steve rolled his eyes at Tony loosing his patience. 

"Alright, Tony. Whats your plan? How am I going to affect her?" Steve asked, and a wide grin spread on Tony's face. 

"Easily. You're a pretty built guy, and you don't look that bad. All you have to do is show off those muscles. Get close to her. Tease her, make her think you're going to kiss her, then don't. Things like that'll drive her crazy" Tony finished, smirking at Steve. Steve let out a sigh. There was a certain attraction to Tony's idea, and anticipation creeped into Steve's mind.

He wanted her.

Steve was no longer the man he was before the ice, but that he already knew. What he didn't know, was how Adora was changing him. Small tweaks here and there, things she said that he hadn't noticed had altered his being. There was one aspect that he knew about her that drove him, though. 

He had never felt this way before.

Steve had been denying it, for that fact was true. Little did he know, Adora had been too. In the back of his mind, somewhere deep down, locked away in a small chest, was how he felt towards Adora. But, he didn't have the key to opening it. Adora did. 

What he didn't seem to realize though, was he did have an affect on her. Since the day he had met her, there was something about her that made Steve feel like he was in on a secret. Something sinfully sweet about talking to her. Being with her. 

But he knew Adora felt differently. In a good way, he couldn't be sure. But, he wanted an answer to this question.

How did she feel?

And, he was about to get his answer.