Chapter Thirty-Nine: Caught in a Lie

Steve woke up to warm, soft sheets wrapped around him, and he was changed into normal clothes. Cold moisture slipped down his cheeks, and he touched his forehead, his fingers meeting the icy surface of an icepack. His nose hurt, and hid head pounded as he sat up. He rubbed the back of his neck, blinking a couple of times to focus his vision.

There was a fan in the corner of the room, blowing cool air into his face. He closed his eyes, focusing on the air fanning him, instead of the pain in his head.

A soft chuckle came from the corner of the room, and his eyes opened. Adora was sitting in an armchair, her legs crossed. She looked the same as she always did, but something seemed different. It was as if his eyes and brain were detecting every detail about her.

The way her neck curved into her shoulder, the texture of her pink lips, and the beautiful colors swirling around in her eyes. She smiled at him, her eyes soft, and the way her smile curved showed her affection for him.

“I’m glad you’re awake, love” she murmured, noticing how he was staring at her. A scarlet blush heated his cheeks and he looked away.

She ignored his blush, “Do you remember anything about the past couple of days?”

Steve grimaced, running his fingers gently through his hair. “I remember carrying you to the carrier after I knocked out Tiana. And I…” he trailed off, his mind running over his memories, realizing the events of the day before.

Tiana had been controlling him.

“Now I know how Clint felt” he muttered, and Adora flinched. “I’m sorry, Steve, but I had to fight you. That’s why you’re all bruised up” She gave him an apologetic look.

He let out a grunt as he swung his feet out of the bed. Adora immediately got up, helping him from the sheets.

“You should stretch. You’ve been out for about a day. I kinda broke your nose, and so we gave you medicine to help you heal. Special from Tony” Steve forced a smile, trying to hide how he was feeling.

And of course, Adora picked up on it. “Did she mess with your mind?” Steve looked away, changing the subject, "Did you put me in street clothes?" Adora pursed her lips, obviously not pleased about his words.

"I might have" Another blush heated his cheeks.

“Nothing I haven't seen before" she said, smiling.

“Are we at Sam’s place?”

“You are” Sam’s voice came from behind Adora, where he was leaning against the doorway.

Steve grinned, stepping forward to hug him. “About time there, Cap. ’Thought you’d never wake up”

“I was only out for a day, no need to worry about me, Sam” Steve said, clapping him on the back. Sam frowned, his eyes flickering towards Adora, his eyebrows raised.

“Is that what she told you?” Steve’s eyes turned to Adora, who was shooting daggers at Sam.

“Did you lie to me, Adora?” he asked, his voice hurt. She bit her lip, shifting her weight.

“I didn’t want to tell you the truth” she growled, glaring at Sam, who put his hands up in defense.

“Hey, I don’t wanna get in the middle of your fight, man”

“Tell me the truth, how long was I out?” Steve asked. Adora let out a sigh.

“A week”

Steve’s eyes widened. and his stomach dropped in shock. “I thought you said you only punched me in the face!” he cried, his voice hard.

Adora paused, biting her lip even harder. “I did, but I didn’t know how long Tiana controlling you would affect you. I wasn’t sure how you’d take it, the whole fighting me thing, and that she was in your head. Mind control can damage the mind badly”

His eyes flashed, trying not to look at her teeth biting her pink, full lip. A smirk made the corners of Adora’s mouth twist up, and he licked his lips.

“Sam, can you give us a minute?” he said, his voice low. Adora raised her eyebrows as Sam left, his laughter heard from down the hallway.

“It’s hard to be mad when you keep biting your lip like that” he growled, and her back hit the wall, pinning her down with his hips.

She smirked at him, pushing her chest out so that her body was flush up against him. His eyes fluttered closed, trying to restrain the arousal that pulsed down between his hips. Steve met her eyes, and ran his thumb over her bottom lip. Her tongue darted out and licked his finger, nipping the tip of it. She didn’t look away as she seductively sucked on his finger, a gasp escaping his lips as the sensation only fueled his desire. He pulled away, biting her bottom lip, and kissing her. The kiss was slow, his tongue flicking over hers.

She pulled away, breathing heavy. “I’ve missed you, love” she murmured, and Steve let out a low chuckle.

“I would hope so” Adora rolled her eyes, and Steve grinned. He stepped away, and took her hand. He brought his lips to the soft underside of her wrist. Her cheeks bloomed pink, her expression soft.

“I love you, Adora”

He heard her breath hitch.

“I love you too, Steve”

A laugh came from behind them, and Steve turned around to glare at Sam for ruining his moment.

But his eyes were not met with Sam’s brown eyes, but with green ones.

“It’s nice to see you awake, Cap” Steve’s eyes widened, and his face went slack.

“It’s nice to hear you tell the truth, Natasha”