Chapter Eight: Stupid Questions and Loss of Control

Adora's POV

"I'd love to" I answered, and Steve glared at me, but I only smiled innocently back. Tony raises his eyebrows, but doesn't say anything.

"Well, let's get started" he says, and each of us grabs a glass, preparing for when we take a shot.

"First question is for Capiscle" Tony said, and Steve's features only hardened.

"Are you still a virgin?" Tony asked, and Steve blushes. Steve reached for a glass, and I laugh. Before he can pour a shot, Tony stops him.

"Not for you Cap. I've got something special for you" Tony says, flicking his wrist to the bartender. The bartender comes back with a small bottle, with no label.

Tony grabs it, and pours only a small amount into Steve's glass.

"Special from Asgard" Tony says, smirking as Steve takes the cup hesitantly.

"You sure you don't wanna answer that question?" I tease, making Steve blush even deeper. Even though I'm curious as to what the answer is, I don't pry into his mind. I guess you could say I wanted him to trust me.

I watch as Steve drinks the liquid, visibly shuddering at the taste of it. "How do you feel?" I ask him, masking the concern in my voice. I knew Asgard has some pretty potent stuff, and the same goes for alcohol from there. He looks at me strangely. Again, I didn't want to pry into his mind.

"Fine" he says, not meeting my eyes. His whole posture has changed. His was standing fully upright, and his arms and legs seemed stiff. There was slight perspiration on his neck, and his breathing was uneven. How was the alcohol affecting his body?

"Adora, it's your turn" Tony said, a classic smirk on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him, watching him carefully. Years training as an assassin helped me sense changes in peoples tones and facial features, yet Tony was giving nothing away.

"Ask away" I reply, my voice sounding smooth.

"How'd you escape that crazy assassin school?" he asked, and I glared at him. I knew he would ask such question.

"You'd love to know wouldn't you?" I say, my lips curling up in a contemptuous smile. I grab a shot. I grab the salt, and pour some liquid into my glass. I can feel Steve's eyes on my as I lick the salt off my hand. I make sure to gaze up at him as I do, making him look away. I down the shot and bite the lime, slamming the glass down on the table. I glance at Steve out of the corner of my eye, and his blue eyes greet mine.

Steve turns to Tony, a smirk on his handsome features. "Your turn" Steve says.

Steve looks at me expectantly, and I can't help but let a grin spread on my face. I step forward a little.

"So, you and Pepper, huh?" I say, and Tony pales, "How's that going? I din't know the great Tony Stark could commit" Steve lets out a laugh, shaking his head at me. Tony almost immediately reaches for a glass, and I smile triumphantly.

It doesn't take long for Tony to get drunk, and I make a mental note that Steve won before I can get drunk. I've already done about five shots, having to avoid questions about my past.

And, well, Steve, let's just say this didn't go too well for him. Steve had downed four glass of the Asgardian liquid. I was pretty sure he was at least a little tipsy.

Kinda.

Steve was leaned agains the wall, staring at the empty glass in his hand. I gently enter his mind, and I don't think he can tell I'm in his head. I feel a wave of drowsiness wash over me, and my vision becomes hazy. I stepped back, my hands reaching out to grab onto something as I lost my balance.

I was feeling what Steve was feeling.

He looked up, and walked towards me, not a single falter in his step. Wasn't that how he was feeling?

Steve was by my side in moments, his strong hands wrapping around my arms, leading my out of the room. I could barely distinguish the people and shapes my eyes saw, as they were all blurred together.

I tried to detach myself from Steve's mind, but I couldn't. "Steve" I cried out, as sharp pain shot through my head. He said nothing as he led me up to a room, my feet obliging to the direction to keep going. I tried to release again and again from Steve's mind, but to no avail. I could feel his worry for me build up with each try. Steve set me down on a bed, but I didn't even feel the sheets on my skin. All my senses were gone except for sight and hearing.

"I— I can't get out of your head, What was in that,— that drink?" I stutter, my hands grasping for Steve as he pulled away. He bit his lip, not meeting my eyes.

"I'm not sure. But, I think Tony was trying to mess with your powers" he says, and I can't tell if he's being truthful.

"But then why did you drink it, and not me?" I say, "And why isn't it affecting you? Wasn't this whole game to see if you would get drunk?" Steve lets out a chuckle.

"For someone who can't seem to function, you ask some good questions" he replies, amusement lighting his face.

"It is affecting me. And Tony didn't seem to realize that after the second drink, I switched out the bottles" Steve says, grinning at me. I laugh, despite the lack of my brain working well.

My brow furrows. "Wait, then how is it affecting you? You don't seem to be acting any different then you usually are" I ask, and surprisingly, Steve's cheeks turn pink.

"Why are you blushing?" He looks away. "You can't hear my thoughts can you?" he asks instead, deflecting my question. "No" I said, watching him carefully, "But I'm still in your head. I can't get out, but I also can't sense how you're feeling or your thoughts"

He nods, acting a little flustered. "You okay there, Steve?" I ask playfully. There's still a blush on his face, and I can start to feel myself regaining my senses.

"Whatever's embarrassing you, Steve, it's helping me regain control" I tell him, and he paled a bit. I could hear his thoughts now.

And boy, were they funny.

The Asgardian drink seemed to make his thought particularly screwy. He almost couldn't control them. His eyes would land on my lips, and all he could think about was,

Was kissing them.

My eyes widened, and I hid the fact that I could hear every thing he thought of.

I couldn't believe he wanted to kiss me. I mean sure, I thought he didn't particularly like me, mostly because of the whole "incident", but him having feelings for me, I didn't see coming. I could feel myself blushing at just the thought of him kissing me.

"Adora?" Steve asked, interrupting my thoughts. "Steve?" I answer back, grinning playfully.

"Can we try the dream thing?" he asked softly. I looked up at him. I had almost forgotten about that.

"Of course" I respond. He let's out a sigh of relief. I move off of the bed, and settled down on the love seat by the bed.

"Just try to go to sleep like normal. Once you start dreaming, I can enter your mind" i tell him, and he sits down on the bed. He strips off his shirt, and I look away, biting my lip. His eyes seem to be watching me, studying and gauging my reaction.

He unbuckles his belt, and kicks off his jeans, and now I'm really blushing. He slips under the sheets, and it's like I can almost feel the coolness of the cloth on my skin.

"Just go to sleep" I soothe, my voice soft. I can feel him calming down, the buzz of the alcohol leaving his body. It doesn't take long for him to be asleep, softly snoring into his pillow. I smile at myself, taking a moment to enjoy the quiet, peacefulness of the room.

I enter his mind, and plug into the darkness that is his dreams.