Chapter Thirty-Two: Two Weeks

Adora's POV
Steve was looking at me with a strange expression on his face. "Adora" he said carefully, "What are you talking about? And why is she looking for the Tesseract when we have it?" I pause, composing my thoughts.

I pull out the small prism from my pocket. I flick it with my fingers. "This is a fake. HYDRA knew we were coming, so they made a fake one"

Steve's brows furrow. "Then why did it affect you like that at first? And that still doesn't tell me how you know Natasha's going after it"

"Before we left, Natasha left me a note. It said two words. They know. Which was only the first clue. Steve, have you noticed any changes in your thought process since you last ate or drank anything?" I ask quickly. I skip over the part about him asking me why the fake affected me. I gather weapons and gadgets, and Steve follows me as I do, simultaneously grabbing his shield.

"No, why? And why didn't you tell me she saw you?" Steve asked, frustration flirting the edges of his voice.

"I think Natasha poisoned you. I went into your mind while you were asleep, and found another clue she left for me. We have to go to a safe house. We'll find her in New York" My voice is unwavering, and it's coming out fast, the accent I hid tripping me up.

"You sound Russian. I thought you said you never picked up any accents" Steve says absentmindedly, grabbing his Captain America suit.

I give him a small smile. Steve always seemed to easily brush off any new information we came across. "I'm surprised you remember that. Well, I lied" I reply, and he let's out a sigh.

"You have more than just this to explain. I expect an explanation for everything, Adora" Steve said seriously, his blue eyes studying me. I grimace, stepping away from him.

"I know"

Steve didn't say anything more, and that's what hurt the most. I could telI was losing his trust, rapidly.

No more slip ups, I told myself. I plugged in coordinates into the carriers control system, so that it'll auto-pilot us to where we needed to go. Steve was quiet, his face solemn and stoic. I could tell he was mildly angry with me, but I tried not to think about it.

These days, thats how I always seemed to deal with things.

We worked in silence, Steve changing in the small corner, and me setting up the carrier. I tried not to let my eyes flicker to his body, and a blush rose to my cheeks. I let out a quiet, frustrated sigh. Steve didn't understand the fact I kept secrets for a reason. I didn't share for a reason, and I was only protecting him.

But he was stubborn.

And so was I.

I could only hope that the carrier would get us to the house safely. Many years ago, Natasha and I set up a safe house that we could go to if something were to go wrong. I never thought I would have to use it, but I was definitely grateful I had it. I turned on the invisibility control on the carrier, wary of the mistake I made on the beginning of the mission.

I turned around to find Steve's eyes fixed on me. His face was troubled, his blond hair out of his face, and his blue eyes watching me.

"What?" I snap, and his mask of stiffness flickers. My expression softens.

"Look, Steve-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"There's nothing to say until we get there" he replied coldly. I flinch at his tone, my mind filling with regret.

Sometimes I hated secrets.

"We'll be there in about an hour" I tell him quietly, slipping into the pilots seat to get away from him.

This was going to be one long hour.

I switch in and out of steering the carrier to pass the time, while Steve dozes off in the corner. How he was asleep in that suit of his, was beyond me.

I hated this, this aspect of being alone that let my mind wander off to dark places. I hated the fact that I could barely control what I thought of, that I couldn't distract myself.

If only I could talk to Steve.

My eyes drifted up to the open air in front of me. I could see the beautiful, green trees popping up from the ground. The leaves were bright, shining in the little sunlight left from the day. My eyes traveled to the sun that was slowly moving down into the horizon.

Suddenly, an ideas popped into my head. I pulled out a pair of headphones that covered my ears from one of the compartments. I plugged it into the carriers system hard drive, looking for a song to listen to. I click on a couple of buttons, and the music started to drift into my ears.

Save up all the days,
Just routine malaise
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay

Would you always
Maybe sometimes
Make it easy?
Take your time

Think of all the ways
Momentary phase
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay

I closed my eyes, the auto-pilot turning on at my touch. I imagined the setting sun in front of me, its bright orange light illuminating my figure. I felt peace drift over me at the calming music, and a content sigh escaped my lips.

I told you I would stay.