Chapter Five: Leaving and Destruction

Steve could hear Tony and Adora outside his door. Tony wasn't necessarily a quiet person. His ear was pressed against the door, eavesdropping on their conversation. Steve didn't like listening in on other people's conversations, but he had too.

Curiosity had gotten the best of him.

"You done yet Tony? I thought you were going to visit Steve" he heard Natasha say. Steve leaped away from the door, already hearing the click of the door.

But he was faster then Tony. When the door opened, Steve was already on the bed, trying to look innocent. He could tell that the guilt was written all over his face, but Tony didn't seem to notice.

"What's up, Cap?" Tony said, settling down and pulling out a chair from the corner of the room. When Steve doesn't reply, Tony keeps talking.

"I talked to Adora. Well, more like she went in my mind, and Nat interrupted" Tony says casually. "I like the gown though. Suits you"

Steve glares at him. Tony only grins back.

"So, was Adora in here before?" Tony asks.

"She was" Steve says briskly. Tony's eyebrows flick upward at his tone.

The silence between the two of them only lasts a couple of seconds. The door bursts open, and both Steve and Tony jump. Natasha and Adora are standing in the doorway. Natasha throws Steve some clothes.

"We've got a lead" she says quickly, "Meet me on the west side in two minutes"

Tony and Steve share a look as Natasha and Adora walk away.

"Well, what're you waiting for? Get dressed" Tony says, leaving Steve's room with a huff. Steve quickly pulls on the clothes, wondering why Natasha needed the whole team. But then, another thought occurred to him.

Bruce.

They had found him, or at least knew how to find him. Whether this was a good thing or not, Steve didn't know.

He also didn't where the west side was.

Steve knew that he was at head quarters, but when they had added a hospital was beyond him. The sound of his shoes on the cold tile was the only sound that greeted his ears. He looked around for a sign, anything really, that could lead him to the west side of the building. He made a sharp turn, quickening his pace.

"Wrong way" he heard a female voice say. He spun around, but there was no one behind him, or in front of him.

"Adora" he growled, looking around. He could almost see the smile her face.

"Aw c'mon Cap, gotta have some fun. I'm not there. I'm only in your head" she said, and Steve kept walking, "Turn at your next right" Steve turned, slowing down so he wouldn't miss a direction. The feeling of Adora in his mind was driving him crazy. The vulnerability of someone else hearing and knowing your thoughts was killing him.

"Almost there, just take a left— there" Adora said, and in was almost like he could feel her breath in his ear.

When he entered the room Adora had led him to, everyone was quiet. But they weren't looking at him, but at the large screen in front of them. Before he could even say anything, his eyes traveled to the screen.

Destruction.

Total, and absolute destruction. On the screen, was a picture of a city, or at least what was left of it. Only the sound of sirens and screams of wounded people could be heard in the room. Steve couldn't look away from the screen, and he didn't want to think about what caused it.

Finally, a voice interrupted the aching silence in the room.

"I have to leave now" Natasha's voice rang out, and Steve's eyes met hers. She gave a small nod, that you only would've seen if you looked closely.

"She's right" Steve said, authority in his tone. "If" he said, pausing to look at the screen, "Bruce can't control himself, then he needs help. Specifically, Natasha's'"

"When are you leaving?" Wanda asked, her face emotionless.

"Now"

————————————————————-

HQ was a mess. Staff walked around in a hurry, gathering what would be needed for Natasha to find Bruce. There were people everywhere, and Steve felt like by just being near them, he was in their way. Adora was nowhere to be seen. Wanda and Tony had disappeared as well.

All that was left was Steve.

Which left him to think. Steve didn't like being alone, mostly because he was afraid of what his mind could come up with when he was.

PTSD.

Four letters that never left his mind. Ever since Wanda had messed with is mind, he had dreamed of the images she put in his head.

It was moments like these that he tried not to think about the past. It only made things worse. But, like any person who has been to war, it has never left him. Steve was so caught him in his thinking that he didn't hear Adora behind him.

"Steve" she said solemnly. He looked up.

"What?"

"I can hear you from a mile away. You need to stop. Stop thinking" Adora said, her blue-green eyes cornering him in the wide, open room.

"That's the thing" he said sharply, "It's not just as easy as all of the sudden just not thinking. It doesn't work like that"

Adora bit her lip, and Steve couldn't help but want to see her do it again. Adora raised her eyebrows, and Steve blushed. He was really starting to dislike the fact that she could sense how he was feeling.

"I think I can help you" Adora said.

"With what?"

Adora rolled her eyes, and Steve grinned at her. "When you go to sleep, maybe I can direct your mind away from the vision Wanda gave you" she said carefully, not really addressing his fear.

For that he was grateful. But, he didn't quite like the idea of Adora being in his head agin. Maybe one time couldn't hurt.

"Is that a yes or no?" Adora asked, an amused expression on her face. She probably already knew the answer.

"It's a yes" Adora grinned.

"I can't wait" she said, and with that walked out of the room. Steve shook his head, a small smile on his face. Maybe Adora wasn't so bad after all.