Chapter Twenty-Four: Escaping, and The Tesseract

Hey guys! For those of you who don't know who Malik is, he is the current head of HYDRA. - Gab

Adora's POV
The sound of Steve snoring beside me awoke me from my nap. I quickly got up, checking the time, and let out a sigh of relief. We still had two hours to prepare. First we would break in, and look for the Tesseract. I would switch into anyone I wanted to, in case we got caught, and Steve would be himself. Steve was still on the small armchair, looking peaceful.

I went to the pilot seat, taking the auto-pilot off, and start to fly the plane myself. My mind wanders to our mission. I was excited, and just the thought of getting back into the field sent adrenaline rushing through my veins.

I also wanted to know more about the Tesseract. This mission had come out of nowhere. S.H.I.E.L.D was in a point in time where there were no major threats in the Avengers way. It only made me wonder again and again why and how the Tesseract got out of Asgard in the first place. I didn’t know Thor, but I knew enough to know that he would take good care of the Tesseract.

So why us? Why me and Steve Rogers, and why the moment I joined the Avengers? Question after question raced through my head, and I was interrupting my the helicarrier swerving. I blinked a couple of times, looking out the clear window.

Staring straight at me, was a missile.

I leaped out of the seat, managing to put on auto-pilot, and grab a parachute at the same time. Steve was after me in seconds.

“What the hell are you doing?” he shouted, the wind pouring out of the open door of the carrier.

“There’s a missile” I shouted back, stepping towards the opening. Steve grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

“What, and you’re going to all of a sudden fly and stop it?” He asked incredulously. I only grin at him.

“I’ve got this” I yell, yanking my arm back, and leaping out the plane. My eyes flutter closed as the cold wind hits my skin, I start to fall, and I lean forward, my eyes still closed. My hands push forward, and I concentrate on that place on in my mind that holds my energy. The place my powers come from.

My eyes fly open as energy and light shoot out of my fingertips, pleasure and excitement rushing through my veins. I hit the missile in the rear, and I fall down, faster and faster towards the ground, the carrier still in sight. The missile is following me, and I can spot a timer ticking on the back. I had about a minute before it killed me. I move my arms, my fingers forming a sphere between my hands.

The electricity is sparking my hands, energy coursing though me. I hit the missile again, this time head on, and it spirals out of the air, and away from me. I pull the parachute, shooting upwards quickly, towards the carrier. Somehow, Steve had managed to fly the large machine in my direction. I reached out, my fingertips brushing the opening of the carrier.

“Steve” I shout, and he reaches out his arm, grabbing hold on me roughly. The door behind me closes behind me loudly, and there is only silence in the room, compared to the windy outside.

“What were you thinking?” he says angrily, his hand digging into my arm.

“Calm down Steve! I’m fine aren’t I?” I replied casually, slipping the parachute off, and putting it back in its place. He followed me as I went back to the pilot’s seat, making the carrier invisible and untraceable. We didn’t need anyone else finding us. I could only guess that the missile was from Hydra, seeing as we had no other main enemy.

I turned to Steve. “Can I help you?” I asked politely, smiling. He rolled his eyes, huffing. He stepped closer to me, staring me down.

“Yes you can. You can tell me what just happened out there” he growled, his voice low. I raise my eyebrows, and press a finger to my cheek, tapping it.