Chapter Forty-Nine: Calypso

Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t updated recently, we just started exams, and I hadn’t had time to write. I hope you like this long chapter, and don’t forget to vote! - Gab

Adora’s POV
I could feel Steve’s state of shock reach it’s limit. I made a mental note to heave new information in lighter portions. Or maybe I could keep going, and try to desensitize him.

“What’s Ogygia?” Steve asked, trying to pronounce it right. I smile. “We’re on an island, a place where Tiana will look for us first. Once she notices we’re gone, she has to get through the shield I put around the portal key, which will take her a while. So we have about two days of safety” I tell him, his face going slack.

“Portal key? Shield? What are you talking about?”

“Damn, I forgot. In order to get us here, the portal key, was the Tesseract. I put a force around it that makes Tiana unable to use it unless she’s strong enough to unlock it in the next two days” I explain, enunciating my words carefully, so he would understand..

His brows furrow at me in confusion, and I take his hand, and lead him inside. “Look, I don’t think you’re going to understand some things right now, because I have a lot to tell you. But, I promise, in the end, it’ll all make sense” I reassure him, my voice unintentionally soft. His blue eyes look at me, and the color makes my breath hitch.

They looked like a storm, and they were slowly turning darker, and darker. My eyes widen, and I back away from him. His brows knit together in confusion.

“What?” he asks.

“I… Your eyes, they’re changing color. They’re still blue, but not the same blue. Tiana is getting to you. She’s in your mind, lurking in the darkness of your thoughts”

“I saw the vision she gave you” He flushes, turning away from me. “I didn’t want to tell you about it”

“Why not?”

Steve ran his fingers through his hair, his blond hair ruffled. “I don’t know, I just felt like I shouldn’t” Suddenly, something inside me clicks.

“Follow me” I tell him, grabbing his hand, and pulling him out of the patio. I take him into the house.

The house is made of wood, but very sturdy. The door has beads hanging from it, along with the hallway doors, stowed away by curtains. There was two bedrooms, and one bathroom. I pulled him into one of the bedrooms.

“Sit” I tell him sternly, and he obeys.

“I need you to close your eyes, and try not to think” His blue eyes look up at me in mystification.

I place my fingertips on the sides of his head, and close my eyes as well. I enter his mind, and a soft gasp escapes his lips. He shudders as I explore each intimate part of his mind.

I was looking for something.

I imagine myself in the center of his mind, looking through his thoughts and memories. When I went into Steve’s mind, his memories were stored into chests, without labels, but with locks. Based on how intricate the locks were, I could gauge the importance. One of them was in the corner of his mind, shielded by the darkness. I kneel down next to it, caressing the lock.  It’s covering almost the whole chest, and it was the most intimidating lock of all the locks guarding the chests. It immediately opens for me, and I smile.

Steve’s memories drift out into the air, swirling around me as I guide them towards the palm of my hand.

Each one is different colored, twinkling and sparkling at me. They twist around my fingers, playing with me. Suddenly, the last memory floats out, except it’s black, completely dark. I gasp as it touches me, burning my fingers. I can’t control it either, and if shoots past me, heading towards another nearby chest. It knocks into the lock, trying to get inside the chest. I rush over to it, grabbing the memory, ignoring the pain searing up my arm, and unlock the memory.