Chapter Fourteen: Stealth and New Missions

Adora's POV

After my training session with Steve and Tony, I needed a drink. The kitchen was quiet as I padded towards the fridge. I open the door, the light of the refrigerator illuminating my surroundings. 

"I heard you won against Steve and Tony" a feminine voice said from my right. I smile.

I close the fridge door, a water bottle in my hand. "Hello there, Wanda" I say, greeting her. When my eyes reach her face, she's smiling brightly at me. 

"It pleases me to know you have taught them a lesson" she says. I laugh.

"Maybe Steve, but definitely not Tony" I tell her, taking the cap off the bottle. Wanda chuckles.

"Did Steve forgive you?" she asks suddenly. My eyes study her features. Something didn't seem right.

"I think so. That was the deal if I won the fight" I say carefully. She nods.

"Good" Wanda says, "I had hoped he would" I let a smile form on my face. 

"Well, I'm gonna head back. You wanna come?" I say, wondering if she felt awkward during this conversation or not.  

She smiles. "No thanks" I nod, stepping past her, my fingers playing with the water bottle in my hands. There was something about her that didn't quite fit. I didn't know what would happen if I were to pry into her mind, but I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to. Her mind would have walls I wasn't powerful enough to get through. 

When I get back to the training room, no one is there. I stand still, suspicious of my surroundings. There is only silence. I reach out into the room, with my mind, trying to find out who was watching me. One never forgets the feeling of being watched.

Finally, behind the biggest object in the room, is a mind. 

"Easy there" a deep voice says, and I roll my eyes. I should have known.

It was Fury. 

I walk forward. "Whats with you and hiding? Confrontations aren't that bad" I say, and he steps out. 

"Miss Blackwood, I'm not here to chat" Fury says casually. I flinch at his use of my last name. It wasn't something that you could find out that easily. I smile.

"I see you been through the files" I say back, just as casually. 

"Let's cut to the chase, here. I've got a mission for you. Undercover" he says, a warning in his tone. I raise my eyebrows.

"Ooh, undercover, my favorite. But only for me?" I question, watching him. 

"No. Rogers will be accompanying you" he said firmly, as if I was going to protest.

"What's the mission? Or will I get the details later?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. Fury pulls out a file from seemingly nowhere. 

"This file has all the details you will need for this mission. Share it with Rogers" he states, handing me the file. I take it, examining the front and back. There was a SHIELD logo on the front, and the words "Classified" stamped in red on the back. 

"Classified, huh? I must be special" I say sarcastically, opening the file. Fury stops me.

"Later" he orders quietly, and I frown at him. Did he not trust me? It would appear so, by the look on his face.

"Go speak to Rogers. Then open it" he tells me, stepping back. 

"Our talk here is done" Fury says, his eyes staring me down menacingly, "Don't give me a reason not to trust you" And with that, he walks past me, leaving me alone in the room. I watch as he leaves, wondering if he would talk to Steve too. 

I look back at the file in my hand, dying to open it and find out my mission. No, our mission. Did Fury know about my little fight with Steve? Maybe he thought we would work well together. I could only wait and find out. 

I walked out of the training room, barely making a sound. There was no one in sight. I let out a loud sigh, annoyed that everyone was hiding from me. Didn't they know I had already beaten Natasha at that game? I mean, Tony said it himself, I had escaped the school I hated to think about. And if Natasha Romanoff couldn't have escaped, was I better? 

I let these thoughts consume me as I walked through the hallway, wanting to catch someone without my powers. I tip-toed towards the bedrooms that Stark had at the end of the hallway. I stopped breathing, and my movements slowed. I stood absolutely still, listening carefully for any sound.

There it is.

I heard a small intake of breath to the left of me, and I arched my neck, listening for more signs of another person. I leaned silently against the wall, the door in front of me wide open. I smile caught on my lips. It was the only door open in the hallway, and they hid in this one? Maybe to throw me off, but I walked towards the door anyway. I held still once more, and the breathing was coming from behind the door. 

It was Steve of course.

How I could tell, I wasn't sure, but I didn't need to go into the persons mind to know. I swept past the door, anticipation streaming through me. 

In a flash, I slammed the door closed, and pounced on Steve. He let out a gasp, his hands reaching out behind him to steady himself.

"Gotcha" I say, satisfaction in my voice. I had Steve against the wall, my body flush up against his. 

"Unfortunately" he says, his lips only inches from mine. I raise my eyebrows at Steve's newfound boldness.

"For you" I reply, swiftly releasing him, a smirk on my face. His eyes sparkle with amusement. 

"And it gets better" I say, reaching out and handing him the file. His brows furrow.

"What's this?" he asks, opening the file, and his eyes widen. 

"What it is? What's the mission?" I ask, walked towards him to see. 

He doesn't say anything, but only stares at the papers in his hands. 

"We have to go undercover" Steve tells me, after about a minute of silence. I nod, confusion spreading on my face.

"Yeah, I know. What's so bad about that?" I ask, studying him carefully. He shakes his head.

"It's not that" he replies, flipping through the papers. I huff. "Well what is it then? Spit it out, Cap" He sets his jaw, looking up at me.

"We have to get the Tesseract"