Chapter 10

"Harry, what's wrong with you? Has something happened?" I asked him, completely unaware of the news that was coming.

"Sit down," Harry said quietly, tears glistening in his eyes.
He blinked them away. I knew he was trying not to cry, but why? I cautiously took a seat on the sofa next to him.

"Harry ar-" He sniffed and cut me off.
"Alex! Mums dead!" He snapped, then looked at me and shook his head.

"Dad called this morning saying mum had been in a car crash. I asked whether we should go back home but he said no. He said the doctors said she was fine, with no major injuries. She would be out of hospital tomorrow or the day after. They were wrong." He sniffed again, as a tear rolled down his cheek.

I stood up and shook my head, and Harry soon copied. This couldn't be happening.

"Dad just told me. While you guys were giving out the food, dad called and told me they missed an internal bleeding in her brain. She's dead Alex. She's gone and there's nothing we can do!" He said and started to silently weep into his hands.

I stood there shocked as he explained, tears threatening to fall.

As soon as he finished I broke down. I screamed. And shouted. And cried.

I screamed at the top of my lungs. Thinking it would all go away.

Then I shouted. "NO! SHES NOT GONE! YOU'RE LYING! HARRY TELL ME YOU'RE LYING! SHE CAn't be gone..."

Then I cried. I sank to the floor and curled up, bringing my knees to my chest. I sobbed into my hoodie sleeves loudly.

Harry came and sat down next to me, still crying. He wrapped his arms around me and I leant into his chest. All the boys rushed in, wondering why I was screaming.

They all skidded to a halt when they saw me and Harry sat uncomfortably on the floor, crying on each others shoudlers.

"Woah woah woah! What the hell happened here!" Josh asked, walking over to us and resting a gentle hand on my back.

JJ and Vik walked over trying to comfort us, Simon, Tobi, and Ethan following close behind.

"Guys, take your time. Tell us what happened." Tobi said softly.

"M-mum." Harry stuttered.
"M-mums d-dead. Mums dead." Just hearing the words again made me freak out. My breathing sped up, in short, sharp gasps. The walls began closing in on me, and I was trapped. There was no escape from this feeling; this feeling of loss, this feeling of fear of losing another.

The sound of Harry sobbing made my stomach churn. I shuffled backwards until my back hit a wall trying to get away from the crowd.

I started crying even harder than before, just trying to escape this nightmare. There was nothing I could do make this better. Nothing I could do to bring her back. I remembered my last conversation with her.

Just before I got to the airport, she rested her hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.
"I don't want you to go. I'll miss you." Was all she said.
I hugged her and smiled.
"I'll be back soon." I said.
Then I turned and walked away. Now I'll never see her again.

No matter how much she made my life a misery, I still loved her, and I knew she loved me too. I clutched my head in my hands and sobbed.

I looked up, to see Simon crouch down in front of me. Seeing his sad face, his sympathetic expression, made me scream once again.

My mum always liked Simon the best, said she wanted me to marry someone like him. My breathing hitched, and oxygen failed to enter my body. My vision blurred due to tears. Simon pulled me into a hug, squeezing me gently.

"Calm down! Deep breaths! Alex look at me. Everything will be ok, I promise." He said quietly.

Vik and Ethan walked over and sat on the sofa behind us. Tobi, JJ and Josh were still with Harry. Simon picked me up and sat down in between the two boys with me on his lap, whimpering into his chest.

My breathing gradually began to slow down, but my tears did not. I continued to cry, until no more tears would come. I looked up from Simon's now soaked t-shirt at the rest of the boys.

All the boys gave me a sympathetic smile, which I attempted to return. Harry looked up at me and wiped his nose on his sleeve. I got up and walked over to him, and gave him a hug.

"Are we going back to Guernsey?" I asked quietly so only Harry could hear.
"We will for her funeral, but then we'll come back." He whispered.

"Shouldn't we stay with dad?"
"No, not after everything he said to you. And you know this is what mum would have wanted. She would have wanted you to stay and have a good time, not cry and mourn."
"Ok." Was all I said.

The boys decided to put the tv on to try and distract me and Harry for a while. Every so often, Simon would wipe a tear from my cheek. I went back to sit with him after my conversation with Harry, so I was now sat between him and Ethan, cuddling into his side.

I had another emotional breakdown when a hospital was shown on screen. I began to silently cry into the cuffs of me sleeves, which were pulled over my hands. Simon span me round on his lap so I was facing him.

Both mine and Harry's cheeks were flushed pink and our eyes were puffy and red from crying.
"Hey, look at me. You're going to be fine." Simon said gently and I leaned my head on his chest.

I ended up crying myself to sleep, tucked in between Simon and Ethan.

A/N:
Hi. I don't know why I did this tbh. I'm sorry please don't kill me 😬 Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed.