Chapter 15

"You all look amazing! Thank you so much for being here." My dad said with a small, sad smile.

The sidemen stood before us, dressed smartly from head to foot in suits, having come back to Guernsey with Harry and I.

Harry walked over and took my hands within his own.
"It's your turn." He whispered, his voice shaking slightly.
I gave a small nod, and pulled him in for a hug.

My mother always wanted to see me in a dress; but I never gave her the chance. I pulled away, and walked into the bathroom.

'If you ever go to a special occasion party, I want you to know, my prom dress is your size'

Mum's words rang through my mind. I remember her playful wink as she told me a few months ago that I could use her dress.

I gently took the black dress off the hanger on the back of the door.
"It's not a special occasion, because no one wanted this to happen, but it's an occasion dedicated to someone special." I whispered to the dress, hugging it tight to my chest.

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying, as I undressed and pulled the simple black outfit over my head. It hugged my torso, and flowed out from my waist to just above my knee.

I tied my all black vans, and finished my hair. Taking a deep breath, I stared intently into the mirror.

"It's different, but you look fine. Do it this once! For your mum." I said to myself nervously, turning the door handle and walking out.

I knotted my hands together, terrified that I would disappoint everyone. Although I don't like dresses, and feel awfully uncomfortable in them, I felt like this time was different. I wasn't wearing it because I wanted to, I was wearing it because my mum deserved to have me try something new, something she had always wanted me to try, before she was gone completely.

The boys were stood making pathetic small talk around the table, so I cleared my throat to catch their attention.

I squeezed my eyes shut and looked at the floor nervously, anticipating their reactions.

When I looked up, I saw all the boys staring at me with open mouths, looking shocked at the sight before them.

Harry and dad had tears clouding their eyes; they knew that this was important.

"Ta-da." I said in a flat tone, tears blurring my vision.
I glanced at Harry and burst into tears. He drew me in for a hug, soaking my shoulder with his own sadness.

"I'm so proud of you. Thank you for doing this." He said, voice shaking. I pulled away and looked at my dad.
"This is what she always wanted." He said, hands covering his mouth in shock.

I turned to the other boys.
"What do you think?"

"I... I can't believe it!" Josh exclaimed, surprised that I would even agree to this. I mostly wanted to impress Josh the most out of the boys since he is like a second father figure to me as well as a best friend.

The boys drew me in for a group hug, me quietly sobbing in the centre. I knew one day I would do something a bit more girly like this, but I never expected it to be for my own mothers funeral.

Everyone pulled away, however, Simons arm stayed wrapped around my shoulders.
"You look gorgeous Alex. Your mother would be speechless." He whispered and kissed my temple.

"Thanks." I said so quietly, almost inaudible.

~

I was sat alone in the corner of the reception venue. Occasionally a family member that I didn't really know would come up to me and apologise for my loss, but apart from that, no one spoke to me.

I had tried to get through the service without crying, but it didn't work. As soon and my mothers name was mentioned, I burst into tears.

"Hey sunshine, what you thinking about?" I jumped at the sound of Josh's voice.
"Don't call me that." I said with a pathetic chuckle.
"Come talk, take your mind off things," He said, offering me his hand.

I accepted, and walked over to the rest of the boys with him.
"Hi" I said quietly, and Josh squeezed my hand.
"It will be ok. I love you." Harry said as he drew me in for a hug. The boys were doing everything in their power to try and cheer me and Harry up, but it wasn't working.

"I just want to go home. I hate this fuss, mum would never have wanted this." Harry said, almost disgusted at the whole idea of a funeral reception.

"Yup. Can we leave? Dad wants to stay, but can we all just go home and watch a film or something?" I asked emotionless.

"Of course. I'll call a taxi." Vik said sympathetically. We began to make our way to exit, when I heard my name being called.

"Alex! Oh hey honey, how are you holding up?"
"Fuck off!" I snapped through gritted teeth.

"Look, I know you're upset and everything-" She continued.
"Jess. Fuck. Off." I said, getting annoyed. "Why are you here anyways?"

"Your dad invited me. He knows how we are such good friends and all-"
"Get out! You don't deserve to be here. This event has nothing to do with you, now get out." I said slowly, voice cracking as I tried to keep my cool.

"Damn. I didn't know it was that big of-"
"She said fuck off, now get out for Gods sake!" Simon growled, making Jess jump, and leave the venue in a huff.

I turned and look one last time at the room. I stumbled backwards, not wanting to believe that I was leaving a funeral, but I was, and I broke down.
I sat on the floor, and backed up against a wall, my head in my hands. I sobbed into my knees, hugging myself tightly.

Josh's POV:

I watched as Alex leant against the wall and cried.

I couldn't bare to see a friend like this. I soon heard sniffling from beside me, so I turned to see Harry covering his mouth as he choked back a sob.

"Let's take them home." I said softly. Tobi and I led Harry outside, and pulled him in for a hug.
As I looked over his shoulder, I saw Simon carrying Alex, whispering to her, "it's going to be ok, I promise. I won't let anyone hurt you." I gave him a small smile.

He really did love that girl.
Anyone could see it...