1

Looking out at the road, exhaustion filled me as another mile brought me closer to the Renegades clubhouse. After notifying Axel of my impending arrival, I jumped in my MH and headed west. I just never imagined I would be returning this soon since hightailing it out of there six weeks ago.

But my current situation required my return.

My last mission almost went south because my usual precision focus was off and I didn't know why. I was lucky the bullet only hit muscle in my shoulder and did no permanent damage. Being laid up was not an option, not with the rise of domestic terrorism.

The government was hounding me daily with new Intel on a group of DT's, or domestic terrorists, that was making their presence known, and there was only so much one woman can do. Especially an injured one. As much as I hated to admit it I needed help. Justice couldn't wait for me to heal.

Fuck I hated being backed into a corner, but that was exactly where I found myself. These fanatics started small but gained power quickly. Four teenage girls had gone missing from the nearby town, but there was no evidence where they were being held, but they had a good guess. The FBI had leads but because of political red tape, their hands were tied, and these girls' lives were at stake. They couldn't wait for warrants and protocol.

The small camp needed to be infiltrated and the girls rescued and if the men perished in the process, so be it. The FBI's words, not mine. For that to happen I needed more able bodies, hence where the Renegades came in. After their assistance with rescuing my friend Harley from her psychotic stalker, the men all expressed their willingness to lend a hand again. I just never thought to consider it until now.

I was lucky that a good number of the Renegades had military background and that came in handy when dealing with situations like the ones I do. I need men who know how to follow orders and are not afraid to hesitate to do what needs to be done.

Looking up at the road sign, I sighed in relief that my exit was coming up. My shoulder hurt like a bitch and I needed to stretch, take a nice warm shower and hit the sack for a few hours. 36 hours of recovery was not long enough, but when the FBI comes knocking at your door you answer.

Maneuvering the large vehicle down the off-ramp, the sounds of motorcycles met me as turned in the direction of the clubhouse. In my side mirrors I could make out a few of the guys, but it was who I didn't see that had me worried.

Axel and Mac were both obviously absent from my entourage.

And I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. The last I saw Axel he was face down drunk off his ass. The man was not dealing well with the fact that he was in love with Harley and he treated her like shit. Which resulted in her sneaking out in the dead of night after spending hours in his bed.

That next morning was not pretty. It took three brothers to restrain the man from destroying the clubhouse. He was furious at her departure and refused to listen to me when I tried to explain her reasons for leaving.

For the next week, the man buried his pain in a bottle and rejected me anytime I tried to talk to him. He went from being a royal prick to ultimate asshole. Which only goes to show how much Harley was right. One of her reasons for going was because she was in love with a guy that was not in a place to love her back. For a man approaching thirty, he had no idea how to love a woman. Who would if your life consisted of woman dropping to their knees without even asking or effort on his part?

In Axel's world only one person mattered...himself. Women were a dime a dozen and flocked to him like bees to honey. But Harley was different. She wanted a man that put her and her needs first. And after the shit life she was dealt, the girl deserved to be the center of a man's universe. Axel was too pigheaded to realize what he was screwing up at the time and continued on with his ways.

Harley leaving solidified that fact that the saying was true - you never know what you truly had until it was gone. The man was crushed and the dumbass couldn't figure out why. Everyone knew the fucking bastard loved her but he couldn't come to grips with it or he didn't want to. If it wasn't so pitiful to watch I would have found it amusing.

Denial was a bitch.

But instead of listening to Mac or I, the prick buried his feelings in liquor and continued to ignore his pain. From my brief conversation with him yesterday I couldn't get a read on him, hopefully he was starting to figure things out and would pull his head out of his ass by the time Harley returns.

But again, Axel and Harleys fucked up love life was not my problem.

Pulling to a stop in front of the clubhouse, I parked my MH off to the side.

No, my problem was this current messed up situation and apparently the man standing across the pavement with his massive arms crossed over his muscular chest staring at me through the windshield. Okay more like glaring.

What the hell was his problem?

Hell I was used to dealing with Alpha males, as a female Major their type surrounded me every day of my ten years of service. I was used to eating men like that for lunch. But one look at this man had my body quivering in need and want. Damn that man knew how to make a woman beg.

The sex was amazing, fantastic, earth moving or bed moving, however you wanted to look at it the man rocked my world. I wouldn't mind visiting his bed again and again.

My life didn't allow time for attachments, plus it was just a complication I didn't need in my life, but sex, especially mind blowing sex – I was totally on board for. I thought Mac was on the same page on what we both wanted. But from the look on Mac's face I could tell that the man was not happy.