39

"As you all know I developed several skills while proudly serving this great country.   One of those skills led me to having my own team.   In the beginning we were used for regular missions and as we continued to succeed those missions increased.   We could be trusted.  We were loyal and fierce.   The enemies feared us.   It was because of all these points that we were called upon for a top secret mission.  One mission led to two.  Then three.   Twelve ended my marriage and military career.   Here are the facts - I was to eliminate the traitors.   Another team swept in and cleaned up after the mission was complete.   Files were sealed, my data went missing hours after we hit base.   I got smart and started making copies before our return.  

These men were selling the lives of American soldiers for money.   Someone had to eliminate the threat.   What I didn't realize until the prints came back - one of the men that I knew was confirmed as dead came back to life.   He was our bomber.   So I started to dig.   The bodies you have been retrieving are the same men I was ordered to kill years ago." 

Pausing I clicked until the pictures of each man displayed on the panels.  Even now their faces cased my stomach to turn.

   "I was a pawn in a larger game.   I just wasn't made aware of it at the time.   My team died thinking they were protecting the men they served with...now that sacrifice is dishonored."

My essence, my core, everything I believed in had been tainted.  

"We had a reputation.  They used that knowing our actions would not be questioned.    My missions were a cover up to secure the traitors had a pathway to safety.   Once they were compromised, that was when we were sent in.   The cleanup team was always different.  They too kept in the dark.   It wasn't until they were transported out were they confirmed dead."

It was one thing to admit your failures to yourself, but it was another to admit it to a room full of me that considered you an equal, a fellow crusader for our country, a hero even.   What a fucking joke.   I was no goddamn hero.

It killed me to admit all of this...that my whole military career was a sham.  I gigantic joke.  I was used and instead of serving justice, I served as a gateway for these men to continue their deceit.   How many more lives were jeopardized?   How many more secrets revealed?   The ramifications of my actions were unfathomable.   And I hated what I have become, what I had done. 

"Those twelve men, from the Intel you have collected, are what make up the commanders of Raptor organization.   I have now confirmed elimination of ten of them.   Eleven is in custody.  Twelve...is still at large.   Albert is trying to determine a location on him, we believe he is in the Middle East.  From Intel collected we now know of two Generals, three Coronals, a Senator, a Congressmen and our on Secretary of Defense are also Raptors.   We still need to determine who in their circle are also involved.   The President has been briefed and we have his full backing."

But that really wouldn't matter.   Once this shit hits the fan the entire country would be in an uproar.   It would crumble the entire military organization.  That couldn't happen.  If the military fell, the government would be next.   We as a country would be left unprotected to our enemies.   WWIII was no longer a theory but a reality.   The ramifications were that dire.   We need to proceed with extreme caution.  

But one fact remained.   I may have been used unwillingly as the goddamn lynchpin that allowed the Raptor organization to form and grow.  But now I was fully willing to tear all those motherfuckers down.  

And the men in this room were going to help me.