43

I quietly watched Agent Timmons as we waited patiently in the back of a limo in front of a hotel. A hotel that was swarming with the Secret Service. I didn't like it but I knew I had to be here. Declining the request of the President was not something one did. Especially not in this situation.

It had been six weeks since we had taken Jacobs into custody. But the bastard refused to talk, not like I thought he would anyone but one could hope. Now he was spending his days in solitary confinement in an undisclosed military location until further notice.

Other than him not talking, things were moving at lightning speed. Like the Senator, one of the Congressman had met the same fate, this time a brain aneurism. Poor fella collapsed right after lunch and was dead before they could get him to the hospital. After that development I am sure the other Senators and Congressmen began to panic. I actually felt sorry for them but there was no way in hell I was helping them.

Unfortunately the mess was dropped right in the President's lap. A mess he was not happy about. Hence the meeting today.

The door opened quickly and a large male frame folded into the car, the door slamming closed immediately behind him.

"Mr. President."

"Agent Timmons thank you for meeting me. And this must be the notorious Phoenix."

"Hello Sir."

"Well I have to say this is quite the shit storm you have stirred up, one I am anxious to resolve. Now I know we don't have a lot of time so let me get to the point of why I called you here. First, I had to be sure this was kept confidential so thank you for meeting me in my limo. If this leaked to the public...the fallout could bring down this country. And I cannot have that, not on my watch. Moving on to the main topic- 80% of the known assets have been found and confiscated and we are working on the rest and any more we discover. My budget just got a lot more creative and the military has weapons that they need – we are talking warehouses full of supplies. These guys didn't fuck around I'm afraid. Now we have already we have benefited on the Intel found. Bases, enemy weapons – you name it we now have. Our position in this war just got a hell of a lot stronger."

Well at least something good was coming out of all this mess.

"And that brings me to the men. So from the concrete Intel you gave me - we have gathered up the soldiers on your lists, 332 total. They are all currently at a base in Iran. That base will be leveled at midnight tonight."

This man did not fuck around.  Did I say I liked him cause I do.

"It will be the largest loss of American soldiers at one time in this war but it is the only way we can guarantee this is kept under the radar. They will all die as hero's and receive special accommodations for serving their county. Yes, I know it is all bullshit but it is something we will have to swallow. Their families do not deserve that shame on them."

He had that right. "Sir, the Generals and-"

"When I said everyone Phoenix, I meant everyone. I am not messing around with this shit. If we start making arrests then this goes public – the fall out is unthinkable. We cannot have the American people discover that our own military is responsible for the crap we have uncovered – it makes me sick and I fear the outcome if that happened. Generals, Coronels, Majors, even the seals - they are all there. And in a few short hours a few bombs will solve that for us. We will blame the attack on terrorists and someone will step forward and take responsibility for it, it would be too big of a coup for them not to."

I had to admit the plan was ingenious. I was curious to how he pulled it off but I decided it was best to not to ask.

Leaning back the President shot me a knowing smile. "A special mission at the request of the President is hard to ignore Phoenix - you should know that. Now since your Intel confirmed that not one person knew all the names of the members we were able to move the soldiers around without suspicion. With their eleven commanders dead they couldn't compromise the operation. We moved quickly and within 48 hours they were all transported out.   I take the protection of my Country very seriously and I'll be damned if this organization continues to thrive."

He was right. We discovered from documents collected from each commander's belongings that they were required to recruit their own group of followers. Each man had their own group that they controlled and those men only answered to that commander. Even within those groups most men didn't associate or know their fellow members. The less anyone knew the safer the information stayed – it was one of the reasons the operated under the radar for so long. No one knew who they could trust so no one talked and they only listened to their commander.

In the military secrecy was key. Everyone operated on a need to know basis.  These men knew that to the tenth degree. The thrived on that secrecy but now it would be their biggest downfall. The irony was quite funny actually but now was not the time to appreciate that.

"Well Sir you are very efficient I will give you that. Even I couldn't have pulled that off."

"Coming from you Phoenix it is an honor to hear you say that. Agent Timmons and I have had several conversations of your recent work. This country owes you a debt of gratitude and thanks. Know that although the American people don't know what you do for them, I do and I couldn't be more grateful to have someone like you on my side."

"Well Sir that is a good side to be on." I joked. Agent Timmons did not look happy at my comment.

The President's laughter filled the limo so I shrugged off the Agents look.

"I agree Phoenix I absolutely agree. Now as for the rest of them. I can't really go arresting or killing off Senators, Governors and Congressmen. Definitely not the Secretary of Defense but he is being dealt with and will soon be stepping down. I have a team working on what to charge him with that will have him spending his remaining days behind bars. They were asked to get creative. I have his replacement all lined up and he is who has been helping me.

For the others - although I want to do the same I cannot as there are too many of them, so we wait and watch. They are all being tracked closely and by now they know it. Maybe we will get lucky and a few more end up dead and solve those problems for me, but for now we hold."

"Well Mr. President when you give a gift you sure wrap it up in a nicely tied bow. In just a few short days you have done the impossible. But I am confused as to why you needed me here in person. This could have all been relayed to through Agent Timmons."

I got a quick elbow to the ribs from Agent Timmons but it wasn't like I was suddenly going to bite my tongue, President or not I wanted answers.

"Damn I like you Phoenix. If I had a staff of you I would be unstoppable."

"Sir no offense but the White House couldn't handle a room full of me, let alone the country."

This had the President once again throwing his head back to laugh. Turning to my right I even saw Agent Timmons crack a small smile. A minor miracle in my book.

"In all seriousness Phoenix you are here because we believe not only is the last commander Ian Anderson still out there but his right hand man as well. We found evidence yesterday that shows a link but we don't know the contacts name or location. But someone now knows what we have been doing which means so does he."

He leaned over and fished out a file from his briefcase. "This is what we have. I needed you and your team to look into this and find them. I many have resources to clean up this mess as much as I did but I need you to finish what you started. Ian and the unknown are our number one focus now. Find them and eliminate them how you choose. We cannot let them live and rebuild."

So much for my nicely tied bow. Nodding I grabbed the folder and placed it on my lap. I would read it later when I had time to decipher it properly. I had my orders and I intended to carry them out.

The limo came to a stop and the President leaned over to shake my hand.

"It is an honor to me you Phoenix. I sleep easier at night knowing this country has you protecting it."

Smiling I accepted his reached out hand. "Mr. President you stole my line."

Laughing he shook Agent Timmons hands and thanked us again as he exited the limo.