38

My body was starting to show the effects of fatigue.   I knew better to keep pushing myself like this but time was of the essence.   I had to strike fast and effective.   I couldn't chance for my targets to go underground.  Once they did who knew how long it would take for them to surface or to be hunted down again.   And I was so close to the finish line. 

I readjusted my scope as I laid perched up on the mountain waiting.   I knew number eleven would be trickier than the rest.  The bastard practically lived off the grid and when I mean off - I mean way the fuck off.   It was the perfect spot for a man who wanted to disappear from society.   The mountains that surrounded his property kept him protected and secluded, only one way in and one way out.   That is unless you take the time to go over the mountain.   The trek only took two days but it was worth it.   The bastard was going to get what's coming to him...that is if he would just walk out the fucking door.  But I knew Jacobs, the man was intelligent and fierce, he wasn't going to be an easy kill.   I knew out of all those I hunted, Jacobs was going to be the most difficult to eliminate.   His location alone was a challenge and Albert was truly put to the test, but like always he succeeded.   Now all I had to do was sit and wait.

And I hated that.   Could I do it...sure.   Surprisingly, I was not the most patient person.  Especially after the week I had of trekking all over the country knocking off terrorist after terrorist.   I needed a break.   A shower and my soft bed.

Mentally and physically I was exhausted.  And I could rest as soon as Jacobs fucking walked out his goddamn door.  

It was then that I heard it.   The sound of engines.   Plural not singular.   Shifting my scope I searched for the sound and swore.   Goddammit, they were going to blow this whole fucking mission to hell.   Christ what the fuck were they thinking?   Agents and men in black fatigues filtered out of the ten black vehicles that now rested in front of the house.   Did Timmons have a death wish?   Did they not know who they were dealing with?   Cursing I reached for my phone.

"Drop back now!" 

"Major..."

"Don't Major me.   I have eyes on you and I need you to get the fuck back.   His perimeter is wired.   Do it NOW."

I waited as Timmons relayed my command and the men dropped back another fifty yards.   I hoped that at least got them out of the kill zone but I couldn't be sure, a man like Jacobs would be prepared for anything.

Movement from the house caught my eye and I shifted focus.  Fuck this was not going to end well.  

"We need him alive Major, repeat do not kill him."

Pissed I had no choice but to let this play out.  Jacobs knew we were here and he would not go down quietly.   I was sure of it.   That was until the bastard calmly walked out his front door with his hands in the air.   The hairs on the back of my neck rose as I watched the scene play out through my scope.   Jacobs dropping to his knees, agents moving forwards, cuffs being slapped on.   It was all too easy.  Way to fucking easy.   Jacobs was like me.  He would not go down without a fight there was just no way.  It was not in our DNA.   We fight to the death, leave nothing behind...

Oh shit...leave nothing behind.

Christ how was I so stupid, I needed to start thinking faster.

Timmons and Jacobs were already in the vehicle furthest from the house.   The rest of the men were either in the house or just right outside of it.  Fuck!  It was a trap.   A goddamn trap and we all fell for it.

I yelled for Timmons to get his men out of the house, to retreat away from the structure.   I watched as men and vehicles began to withdrawal but we were too late.   The ground shook has the house exploded into a large ball of fire.   Bodies caught in the aftermath fell to the ground right along with burning debris.   Cars that were too close were now on their sides from the impact of the blast, aflamed.   Black smoke began to billow to the sky.  

Death. Destruction.

This was the Jacobs I knew.

My scope caught the smile that graced Jacob's face as he sat back in the SUV, untouched from the blast.  His smile held the confidence that he was safe.  And me being me thought he needed to be reminded.   As long as I lived, the bastard would never be safe.

The bullet from my rifle cracked the glass and immediately wiped the smug smile off that bastards face.   If not for the bulletproof glass my bullet would have given him a third eye...

And now the bastard knew.  

####

I missed the quiet.   My house used to be quiet for years.  But not anymore, it was like Grand Central Station now and that didn't make me too happy.   When I returned last night all I wanted to do was sleep.   So I ignored everyone and face planted into my bed where I have remained for the last fourteen hours.   Now I continued to ignore everyone as I refueled with breakfast.   Hey I was a girl that had my priorities straight.  

It only took three minutes after walking into the kitchen for my message to be received.   I was not to be fucked with right now.   Exhaustion kept me from blowing my lid the night before but today was a new day.   So most escaped the kitchen the second I sat down with my food.  

Mac pulled out the chair beside me but didn't speak.   Axel took the seat across from him, also remaining silent.   They knew.   I did not take death lightly and the nine men that didn't survive the explosion weighted heavily on my shoulders.   And they knew about that weight.   

I hated how just their presence made that weight a little bit lighter, but no way in hell was I relaying that to them.   Their egos were bad enough.  

It wasn't until I reached my command center that the house finally settled.   Movement stilled, other than to get out of my way, as I took my usual seat.   Rubbing the back of my neck I hit a few keys signaling Albert on what to do.  

Renegades in the room just nodded and relaxed, most crossing their arms, waiting.   The Agents that didn't know me nervously fidgeted...they just weren't sure for what.  Finally the door opened and Timmons walked in, stress etched across his face, apparently his night was not as peaceful as mine.    Frankly I didn't give a shit.   His actions fucked up my mission and he knew it, he was baring the weight of that now.  

That was reality in our world. 

Without meeting my eyes, Timmons took the seat next to me.  Nodding his head, giving me the floor.   He knew he fucked up, no use in berating the matter.  Rising I walked to the front, pausing when my eyes settled on my only other female in the room.   Harley was casually sitting near the back, a warm smile welcoming me home.   God I missed my friend, but now was not the time to reconnect.   I would have time later to chew out her "delayed returned" ass.  

I returned her smile and then began.