24

The Agents cleared out and most of the bikers left with them...expect for Axel, Hacker, Tank and Mac. The four men were currently eating my food and drinking my beer. If it wasn't for the fact that Tank was one hell of a chef I would have tossed them out with their brothers.  

The atmosphere was relaxed as I listened to the guys talk. Mac continued to ignore me but did chime in every now and then. After Axel and Tank finished their rundown of missions the Agent had them on they moved on to the club. I was happy to see that the Renegades were doing so well. With the money coming in now from not only the legitimate businesses as well as their covert work, the club has prospered greatly. Axel decided to renovate the clubhouse and expand and asked my opinion.

I thought the plans to add a secure command center was a great idea and even Albert chimed in with his assistance. If I knew Al he was currently designing the new facility as we sat here. And I said as much when I agreed to look over the plans when they were finished.

I hated to admit how much Axel has stepped up to the plate and changed. A year ago the man was a mess, drowning in the bottom of a bottle. A horrible leader and even less of a man. Today he was a completely different. He led with confidence and conviction and his brothers followed loyally. Since he implemented training exercises for the men, I noticed a change in all of them, but with Axel it was most noticeable. The man always had a good body, don't get me wrong, but now he was more fit, stronger. His appearance not so disheveled and unkempt, instead he took pride in the way he carried himself. It wasn't just his presence that changed, the chip he once had on his shoulder was gone as well.

No, the man sitting next to me no longer resembled the one that broke my best friend's heart. This man finally grew up and approached his responsibilities head on and with dignity. He took charge and led his brother's honorably and bravely. I was glad to see that he finally got his act together and became the type of man you could be proud of.

I wished Harley was here to witness his transformation, she would have been so proud. I knew in part she was a big motivator for the man even if he denies it. Axel was the other half of Harley, even in the short time the two danced around each other everyone knew it. I still had hope that one day the two could let go of the past and start over.

But after Tank mentioned that the new club accountant had caught the Prez's eye my hopes dwindled. Apparently the woman didn't put up with his shit and had no problem putting him in his place. Tank gave it another two weeks before the sexual tension between the two exploded. Apparently Axel's transformation extended to his sex life as well and the man has been celibate for months, hard to believe but Tank swears it's true.

If that was the case then this woman wasn't just another fuck for the biker...and that was where my concern lied. Damn my stubborn best friend. If she didn't hurry her ass up she might miss her chance with the man she loves.

"So what do you think?" Luckily I can multi-task and I was in fact paying attention to Axel.

"I don't think I am the right female to ask about this Axel. Hell according to some I hardly classify as a woman." I meant it as a joke but the moment I said it I knew Mac wouldn't take it that way. And when he stormed out of the kitchen my assumption was confirmed. Dammit when am I going to stop putting my foot in my mouth when it comes to dealing with that man! Luckily Tank and Hacker already left the room and didn't have to witness me make a fool of myself yet again.

"Shit Nix...sorry about that."

"No worries Axel. Mac and I...just not on the same page anymore, but life goes on. Now as for this girl. I don't know if I can help you. Hell even if I want to help you. A few months ago you were still hung up on Harley and now you are talking about going on a date? This shit is messed up Axel, even you have to see that."

"Your right Nix...it's just...is Harley ever coming back? Even you are skeptical. And I can't keep putting that part of my life on hold. Being known as a man whore no longer appeals to me, so I cleaned up my act. But I have needs and I found a good woman that I think could turn into something more. Waiting around for Harley...shit I won't lie, I still have feelings for her. And if there was a possibility that she is coming back I would wait, but...fuck I don't know. How do you deal with this relationship stuff?"

Laughing I set my beer down. "Hell if I know Axel. My only two attempts crashed and burned. Fuck my first tried to blow me up because of who I was. The second tried to change me because of what I was. What does that tell you? I honestly don't see the point to all of this emotion bullshit, all it causes is pain, at least for me."

Chugging the rest of my beer I tossed the bottle in the garbage can before turning back to Axel who still sat at the table. Fuck I hated being so fucked up sometimes. Even talking about this stuff had my defenses rising.

"Look Axel...Harley made her choice. It is what it is. That's on her for staying away for so long. If you found someone who peaks your interest, ask her to dinner. Get to know her before you fuck her. And word of advice. Like for who she is, flaws and all. Don't try to change her."

I hated that Mac's words still burned deep. That he couldn't handle who I was even though he knew who I was from the beginning. I was a mercenary. My job put me in the front of death each time I walked out my door and I was good at what I do. Sure there are risks involved, but the outcomes have always outweighed them. He knew this from day one and for him to throw that back in my face hurt deep.

"Thanks Nix. And for what it's worth. I think you are one hell of a woman. Not a soldier or a Major, but a woman. You busted my balls until I woke the fuck up and you did it because you love your friend. I owe you a lot, hell all of the Renegades do. I don't think any less of you because you like guns more than flowers. Know that you have my respect and my loyalty...always."

"Thanks Axel...I am just glad for once I was wrong about someone."

"Hey Nix...Mac well...the man has a protective instinct a mile wide and he doesn't know what to do with a woman who can handle shit on her own. He is having a hard time accepting the fact that you don't need him to protect you, it's just how the fucker is wired. Don't hate him for it."

"I don't. And I may not need him to protect me, but I did need him..."