32

The party was in full swing as the men continued to make use of my game room and bar.   Everyone was here, including Maggie, Axel's new woman and a couple of the old lady's.  And as much as I hated to admit it the woman was pretty, sweet and kind hearted.   She reminded me a lot of Harley, which I wasn't about to point out.   I knew he wasn't over her, but he decided to move on and I really couldn't hold that against him anymore.   The last anyone laid eyes on Harley was over eighteen months ago, hell it has been over two months since anyone has even talked to her.  

The truth was always there, I just refused to accept it.  Harley wasn't coming back.   And if she did, her window closed a long time ago and that was on her.   I warned her, Mac warned her but I couldn't make her do something she wasn't ready to admit.   Axel's betrayal cut her deep, triggering years of deep rooted pain she buried in order to survive all these years.   But her ability to stick her head in the sand had cost her a chance at finding the love she always wanted.

Her leaving prompted Axel to be the man I knew he could be, so at least her leaving accomplished something.    No...no one could blame the man for moving on.   And I was happy to see she wasn't one of the club whores, but a respectable, intelligent woman.  I was happy for him...really.  But my heart broke just a little when I watched him tuck Maggie to his side, placing a kiss on her temple.   That could have been Harley, but I had to let it go.  

"She's good for him so don't give him any shit about this."  Mac mentioned as he took a seat beside me at the bar.   This was the first time he has spoken to me since that day in my bedroom a few weeks ago.   And my heart broke just a little bit more when hearing the firmness in his voice.   But I couldn't let that bother me now.   I had to let Mac go too.   Especially now.   Shit a part of me know understood Harley's actions.

"She is and I won't.   They look good together and she doesn't put up with his shit.   Harley missed her chance and I said as much when I left another message for her last week."

"Do you still have a link on her?"

"Yes.  She is in Washington.   Seattle.   Not sure why but who the hell cares at this point.   The woman is unresponsive and I can't keep worrying about her shit.   I have enough on my plate to worry about hers."

Mac nodded in agreement although I knew he would never know the full impact of that statement until I either returned or was killed.   But he didn't need to know.  Mac was a good man.   One of the good ones and I realized it too late.   If there was ever a man that could have broken through all my walls to my heart, it would have been him.  

"Albert find anything more on our bomber?"

"No" I lied.   "Nothing yet."  Christ that hurt to say.   Taking a sip of my beer I avoided saying anything else as Tank sunk the eight ball and celebrated beating Hawk again at the pool table.   Those two had a running tally and according the Tanks words he had finally evened the score.   I had no idea what they were betting but I knew the first to fifty wins was the champion.   The score was now tied at forty each.   I smiled as the two men joked back and forth, their energy and enthusiasm was addicting.  I was going to miss it...along with Tank's cooking.

"You look better.  How are the ribs?"  Mac quietly asked.  It warmed my heart to know after all this shit I pulled on him he still gave a damn.

"Good.   Almost all healed, just some soreness remaining.  By next week I should be back to normal."  And I was feeling better at least physically.   For the past week I have done nothing but sit in a chair pouring over any detail we could dig up, it gave my body a chance to not only rest but recuperate.    I figured I would be back to one hundred percent in the next two weeks.   In that time I would begin planning, preparing to head out.   Hopefully I would have more Intel by then.

"Look Juliette...we need to talk."  I loved when Mac used my name.   No one did, even Harley.   Hell even Ian called me either Barnes or babe.  I never knew until right then how much that word meant coming from his lips.  

"No need Mac, I get it.   But I can't change who I am.  You can't change who you are.   Together we are toxic, two domineering personalities that clash...except in bed, then we are explosive.   We are all wrong for each other, you know it and I know it.   Let's just leave it at that."   Christ I hope he believed all my bullshit, because frankly I felt sick saying it.   We were perfect for each other.  I realized that when he walked out on me.  Mac doesn't put up with my bullshit and he has been the only person in my life to ever call me out on it.   And if given the chance I knew I could fall deeply in love with this man, but that possibility was not in the cards for me.   I had one final mission to complete before I could allow that opportunity.  But I had to be realistic.   My life was not a fairy tale, the girl never gets the guy and rides off into the sunset on the back of his bike.  

What was realistic was my ability to protect him...I would not fail a second time.   I would not lose one more person that meant something to me.  

This time I was going to be the one hunting and nothing was going to stand in my way of getting my revenge.