31

Twelve.

It was a number that always haunted me. 

In my career there have been twelve times when I placed everything I believed on the line; when I willingly took out one of my own, a fellow soldier. A traitor.

Each kill left another mark on my soul, never to recover as I watched their bodies fall to the ground, and even though my mission was accomplished, it was my soul that suffered the consequences, almost to the point where I believed it was too tarnished to every be redeemed.

And in a way I guess that is why I do in what I do...redemption. Little did I know there was none of a killer like me.

But after spending the last week locked up in my command center I now knew redemption was impossible. This type of deception and betrayal ran bone deep. To see proof that I was nothing but a pawn in a giant chess game had my blood boiling. To see how I was used as an accomplice without my knowledge and then scheduled to be taken out when I was no longer useful...well they thought I was deadly before...they haven't seen anything yet. No one would remain breathing and this time I was for damn sure going to finish the job.

But this type of manhunt couldn't be possible alone. So I reached out, pulling in every marker that was owned to me, hell even promising some in return and the information started to pour in. My contacts I have made over the years didn't let me down. Many former military were more than happy to offer their assistance whenever I called upon them. The problem was the more I uncovered the larger the shit storm expanded. If my Intel was correct, no one was untouched by this corruption. And that scared the shit out of me. I wasn't sure how far it went up hill. Hell there wasn't much I was sure about except one thing...that it was time to end it.

And I had to do it alone.

I wasn't stupid or suicidal, I just knew the risks were too great to drag anyone else into this mess. I had to clean house and I had to do it under radar and quick, taking these bastards by surprise, hitting them where it hurts. I moved faster alone. This time it wasn't my ego talking; it was my need to keep the guys safe. But this mess had tentacles that reached far and wide, I had to protect them. Yes they could handle their shit. This successful missions were a testament to that, but this...this shit was a lot deeper. I couldn't drag them down my rabbit hole without the risk of getting them killed. That was a risk I wasn't willing to take.

These men have come to mean something to me and no matter how well trained they are I wasn't going to sacrifice them for my mistake. Because that was what all this shit was. My mistake. I should have asked more questions or paid more attention, but I didn't. I was too focused on following orders and my next kill. They trained me to be a blood thirsty assassin and that was exactly who I was.

That was who I am.

I continued to watch as Albert, with the help of NASA and the NSA, began tracking my targets. So far we has three confirmed locations and searching for more. These bastards were smart but in this day in age no one moved around without leaving a trail, be it cell phone records, banking, email...all trackable. We lived in the electronic age, no one was untraceable. Some more difficult than others but I would still find them.

Major...the men are here.

"Shut off the screens. This information stays classified, do not give anyone access to this without receiving the code word. Is that understood Albert. No one."

Affirmative Major.

In a few days' time I would begin my attack. These bastards wouldn't get away with selling out the lives of American soldiers for money.

 It was time to end the killings...

I'm coming for you Raptor...