36

These bastards were all going to pay.  

With every kill I was one step closer.   And my secret wasn't so secret anymore.   Intel had started to go missing or destroyed before Agent T's men could get to the locations.   We had moles and they seemed to be everywhere.   Now the suits in Washington were trying to put a stop to it, asking questions that we couldn't answer, at least not yet.   No one wanted their skeletons released from the proverbial closet.   But little did they know that I had always held their trump card. 

Grabbing my phone I decided to make the call I swore I never would.   My existence up until this point has been made into that of a Legend, a story the military passed around at boot camp, the fallen hero.   To the world I didn't exist, but now it was time to resurrect the Phoenix. 

The phone rang twice before answered.   "Identify yourself."

"Phoenix, Mr. President."  I replied.

The pause was heavy as I heard movement in the background and then a door closing.

"So you are alive?"

"Negative Mr. President."   He laughed briefly and then his tone turned serious once again.  "How can I help you Phoenix?"

"Sir in a few minutes you have a meeting with Agent Timmons with the FBI.   The information he is going to give you is in fact authentic.  Do not shut him down.   It is also imperative that you share this information with no one and that includes everyone in the White House.   We have several traitors amongst us Sir."

I heard the President sigh and then swear.  "How close?"

"Sitting at your boardroom table Sir."   Again the phone was silent as the President processed my words.   He didn't need more information, he would have that soon enough.

"What do you need from me?"

"Keep the men on the list you are going to receive occupied and close.   Have them watched and followed.   As far as I can tell this hasn't reached the CIA or Secret Service so those men are safe to use.   I will take care of the rest."

I always like this President.   He was smart and efficient.   He kept his promises and as far as I can tell was corrupt free.   That was a big plus in my book.   He had my respect and as my Commander in Chief he had my loyalty. As an ex-military man himself I knew he would be on my side, especially after reviewing the Intel the Agent was bringing to him.  

"I am assume the magnitude of the situation is dire."

"Affirmative Sir."

"How much time do you need?   The public deserve answers, at least ones I can give them."

"Ten more days Sir."

"And after..."

"Negative Sir, the Phoenix will crumble to ashes once more."

"Shame, we need more soldiers like you."

"I may be dead, but I will protect this great country until my body goes cold."

"And we are indebted to you for that.   Godspeed Phoenix."

Ending the call I knew that I not only bought Agent Timmons time but myself as well.   And when you were racing against the clock time was everything.  

Looking through my scope I watched as another piece of the puzzle fell to the ground.  Foam forming on his mouth from the toxins he had ingested unknowingly.   The hospital would confirm the seizure was his cause of death, more humane than he deserved.   But the bastard had a wife and kids who thought we traveled for construction, they would never know his true identity or deceitfulness.  And eventually they would be able to move on, so for them I could do humane.  

One way or another, these bastards were all going to pay.