2

Janel's POV:

I watched Harry rush away. He was so handsome. And so nice. All I could think is, will I ever see him again. I certainly hoped so. But I knew in my heart, that I probably wouldn't. Why would he come back? I'm nothing. I'm nobody. I'm just a lonely girl in a group home. I have nothing to offer anyone. And I'm not normal. I have nothing going for me.

But I hoped I'd see him again. There's always that stupid hope, that I try not to let get out of control in my mind. But sometimes, you just can't help it but HOPE.

Stupid hope. Always hurts me in the end.

If he DID come back to see me, that would also be bitter sweet. Because then I'd get to be with him more, but I'd get attatched. And sooner or later, he'd leave one day and never come back again. Just like Greg. The only other person to ever talk to me for longer than 10 seconds. He befriended me in the park one spring day. I was sitting on someone's body heat spot on a bench, and he came and sat next to me. He started talking to me, and even though I was awkward, silent, and slow to talk, he kept talking to me.

And the next day when I walked to the park, Greg was there, on the same bench, waving me over to sit with him. And the next day.....and the next......

For a month or so I'd see him at the park. And we'd talk and walk around the park for hours. When it was rainy, we'd sit in a stone tunnel under one of the walking paths and talk. He talked a lot. More than me. He always said "I need to talk today."

The staff at my home noticed a change in me soon, too. They were so happy to see me happy. To see me coming out of my shell. To see me having something to look forward to each day.

It was the best time in my life, ever, up to that point. The first time I realized life could be a little bit fun. Life could have a reason.

And then one day, he didn't show up at the park. I sat on a bench waiting, and he just never came.

I waited for hours.

And the next day....no Greg again.

And every day for 10 days, I waited for hours, sitting on the bench. Walking around, but sticking close to the bench in case he showed up. And when it rained, I waited in the stone tunnel on the two huge rocks Greg had rolled over for us to sit on.

The staff started to notice my sadness right away, even though I tried to hide it. I didn't want to be that sad girl to them again. I liked them seeing me happy. Seeing me sort of normal. I didn't want to go back to what I was before. A girl, lost in the world, with nothing.

But eventually, that was what I became again. Only a little worse now, because of the hurt. The mourning. The loss of the only friend I'd ever had.

At first, I worried about him. Maybe he was dead or something.

Then I saw him one day, walking down the street. He was walking with a girl. And they were holding hands. Just like the happy people in the park.

It was a horrible feeling inside. Now I knew why he never came back to see me. And that feeling felt worse inside than when I thought he was dead. At least he could have said goodbye. At least.....

I shook off the pain I started to feel as I remembered how people just leave you. And how I knew that if Harry came back, he'd do the same thing. Maybe soon. Maybe later. But eventually, I'd hurt again. And it would be horrible. A horrible lonely sadness.

Maybe I don't want Harry to come back, now that I'm thinking about it. Maybe if he comes back, I'll stay in my room. That's probably a better idea. Why put myself through this again? I already know how it ends. Everyone leaves for some reason.