Chapter Twenty-three

"You need to leave" Mum clenched her fists pointing at the door to John.

He opened his mouth to object but mum's harsh voice cut through the air silencing him. "Now!"

With one last look at me, John stormed out of the house. Josh started going after him but mum told him to stay.

"Why are you letting him go?" Josh asked furious.

"I'm going to go talk to him. Get an ice pack for Avery" She warned Josh before following where John was last seen.

I sat back on the bench now feeling the pain from my jaw.

Josh angrily grabbed an ice pack wrapping in in a tea towel and holding it against my jaw.

Ignoring the pain in my jaw I managed to smile.

Josh noticed this and shook his head at me, trying not to smile at my reaction. "You are fucking crazy" He muttered under his breath.

I couldn't agree more, but I had achieved what I wanted to.

We sat in silence and listened to the bickering going outside.

A few minutes later mum came back in and I was relieved to find John had left. Mum scanned my face looking at the injury.

"I'm so sorry Avery" She said disappointed at herself opening the kitchen cabinet and getting painkillers.

"It's okay mum, he's gone now" I felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest.

She looked conflicted, hesitating whether to tell me or not.

I frowned. "He's gone, right mum?" I asked.

Mum gave me a painful look. "Well.."

"Mum he punched me!" I pointed at my jaw for evidence.

"I know and that was really bad and I don't expect you to forgive him anytime soon. But John told me all about it. He's got anger issues and he's seeing a psychologist to help him with it and he's improved" She blabbered on.

I couldn't believe my ears.

"So your saying your letting a crazy man into our lives?" Josh asked, not understanding either.

"And your saying I took that punch for nothing?" I asked in disbelief.

She looked alarmed at my comment and looked at me. "Wait what?"

I tried changing the topic. She didn't know I actually wanted to get punched. "He punched me" I repeated.

"I know okay. But I feel like I have an obligation to let you get to know your father. Study's have shown that a father figure shows the development of their child"

I gave her a pointed look. "Name one study"

She also gave me a pointed look. "John is taking you Avery out tomorrow because he feels as though he owes you a huge apology"

"Fine" I agreed as she gave me a thankful look. I knew there was no way of getting out of this. I just have to be there tomorrow. I don't have to be there and I don't have to listen to John. I just physically have to be there.

As mum turned to wash something in the sick I looked towards Josh. "I can't believe he punched me for nothing" I shook my head in disbelief.

××

Sorry this is a very short chapter.

Remember to comment and vote.
~ Ashley