Chapter Forty-one

Hey guys so I decided to update early as I had the whole afternoon free so enjoy!
××

There was a minute of silence, no one daring to move. For some reason I wished Damien was one of those superhero's in those movies where they miraculously make it out. As good as that sounds, I know I'd be a lunatic to believe that. There was no way anyone could make it out of that. Absolutely no way. And I hated myself for knowing that.

I stared in disbelief at the warehouse in flames. No he couldn't. He can't.

Dead.

Gone.

Forever.

There was a sudden hope and determination in me.

"We have to leave, before the cops arrive" Xavier's cold tone sliced through the air as I heard the car door slam.

I didn't want to leave, but Xavier was right. We were all a part of this murder investigation.

I wiped a tear that rolled down my cheek and hoped in the car.

Xavier started the car and sped off. I took a last glance at the scene. My last glimmer of hope fading.

I couldn't believe he was gone. I've only known him for a few weeks but he seemed like a genuine guy and possibly the only person that cared for me.

The car ride was filled with complete silence and I knew it was the wrong time to bring it up but I couldn't help the words that tumbled out of my mouth.

"Ok what was that?" I asked mainly to Xavier.

"Here we go again" Steve mumbled taking out his phone mirroring Richard.

"Damien just-" Xavier started.

"Yeah I know what just happened, I was talking about what happened before that" I snapped having enough of this. I know I'm taking my anger out on Xavier but I couldn't help it. He's dead.

"We made a deal with a company, and it was to sell you for money" Xavier said.

I couldn't believe how cold he was being. Someone close just died and he just blocks everything out. It's as though he doesn't have any emotions at all. 

"And why didn't you just sell me? Why go through all the trouble when something like this could happen?" I asked.

I knew I was directing all of my anger at Xavier. I knew it was wrong because it wasn't his fault. Yet for some reason I blamed him.

"Because then I would've lost my property" He replied blankly.

"Your property?" I asked angrily.

Xavier squeezed his eyes in frustration regretting his choice of words. "Not like that"

"I'm gonna go get some food" Xavier said pulling up at a convinent store.

He took his seatbelt off and was about to get out when Richard slid Xavier's seatbelt back on.

"Steve and I are gonna go get some food and you two are gonna sort this out" Richard said slowly as if we where babies trying to understand him. He looked at us sternly waiting for us to agree.

"Fine" I agreed not entirely liking this idea.

Richard shifted his eyes to Xavier.

Xavier looked angry. "I am your boss you know that"

Richard wasn't affected by this. "And I am your friend doing you a favour"

There was a pause. "Fine" He mumbled.